Conor McGregor is brimming with confidence ahead of his return to the UFC, so much so he believes he’ll ‘strut’ right back to the top of the lightweight division.
The former two-division world champion is set to return to the Octagon on January 18 at UFC 246 in Las Vegas.
McGregor announced his eagerly-anticipated return to the cage last month during a press conference in Russia, though he stopped short of revealing who he’ll face in his comeback fight.
He did, however, announce a three-fight plan to regain the lightweight title – which is currently wrapped around the waist of his fierce rival Khabib Nurmagomedov.
Despite not having set foot inside the cage since losing to Nurmagomedov last October at UFC 229, McGregor is confident he can return to the summit of the division.
And he showcased the confidence in recent posts on his Instagram and Twitter pages.
On Thursday night, the former featherweight and lightweight champion posted pictures of himself doing the ‘Billi Strut’ – which was made famous by WWE chairman and CEO Vince McMahon — during a sparring session at Straight Blast Gym Ireland.
The accompanying caption read: “It’s The Billi strut straight to the top! #LetsGoTeam.”
He followed up that post with a picture of himself holding up his son Conor Jr with the accompanying caption: “I’ve always said that a good sign you’ve made it in this financial rat chase trap of a world, is when you’ve someone holding an umbrella for you.
“Now I’m holding one for my son. I guess a congrats is in order my lad. You did it! And in record time too!”
It has been reported that fan favourite Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone will be the man to welcome McGregor back to the Octagon, a notion which was recently denied by UFC president Dana White.
During the UFC 244 post-fight press conference, White told Express Sport: “There’s nothing done. Literally zero.
“Conor came out and said that. People then said, ‘Is this true?’ And I said, ‘He wants to fight that date.’ But we literally haven’t done [anything].
“Nobody has called Cerrone. Cerrone actually text me yesterday and said, ‘I hope all this talk is true.’
“So there is literally nothing done. Zero.”
That, however, has changed, according to McGregor’s manager Audie Attar, who revealed earlier this week his client’s return to the UFC is on the verge of being announced.
During an appearance on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show on ESPN, the Paradigm Sports Management chief said: “We had very productive talks this weekend with the UFC.
“I know Conor has announced a date, and in terms of discussions we have agreed on that date and we have agreed on that opponent.
“We’re not going to reveal anything tonight but a deal is imminent, I don’t see anything getting in the way barring some unforeseen circumstances.
“Both parties want to get it done, it’s in the best interests of everyone involved and more importantly the fans are really excited to see him back.”