Amtrak engineer turns himself in, faces charges related to fatal 2015 crash


View the original article: https://www.rt.com/usa/388992-amtrak-crash-bostian-charges/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Amtrak engineer Brandon Bostian, who was operating a Washington-to-New York train in May 2015 when it derailed, killing eight people, was taken into custody on charges related to the Philadelphia-area crash.

Beware of other sites you have never heard of giving you news, a lot of them are just wanting to feed you multiple popup adverts and malware

Visit us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/notinthemainstreamnews/
We use all our content under fair use to compare who is Fake and who is not, we do not claim ownership at all, all stories are published by the owners as FREE RSS Feeds.

Othen.bizRegisteredgites.com Giteinfrance.biz – Simonothen.com = Northernsoulers.uk – LaBataille.co.uk

Bostian, 34, turned himself into Philadelphia police on Thursday, was arraigned and then released on $81,000 bond after a a judge, acting on a private criminal complaint from a victim’s family, ordered eight misdemeanor involuntary manslaughter charges, among others, to be filed.

The Pennsylvania attorney general’s office then added a felony count of causing a catastrophe, according to AP.

Bostian’s “sign-on bond” means he will not have to pay as long as he appears for his court dates, the next occurring on June 7. His attorney, Robert Goggin, said the charges were hastily filed days before the two-year statute of limitations to do so was set to expire.

Goggin pointed out that the US Department of Justice and the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office reviewed the evidence in the case and decided against charges, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Last week, local prosecutors in Philadelphia said there was insufficient evidence to prove the Amtrak engineer, who has been on unpaid administrative leave since the crash, acted with intent or “conscious disregard” for passenger safety.

The state then assumed the case once the court ordered charges to be filed. Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro filed the charges on Friday, according to the Inquirer.

“We will make our case in court; I think we have a strong case to make,” Shapiro said earlier in the week. “But I think what’s important here is that we thought it was vitally important that someone spoke up for the victims and tried to bring about justice for the victims. And that’s exactly what we did with the array of charges that we issued.”

Read more

‘Distraction to disaster’: Deadly Amtrak crash caused by preoccupied engineer

Bostian did not respond to questions from news media on Thursday.

On May 12, 2015, Bostian was operating a seven-car train, accelerating to 106 miles per hour on a 50-mph curve, when it derailed, killing eight and injuring around 200 passengers and crew, according to an investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). The investigation found that Bostian forgot where he was when he accelerated the train. He told investigators he could only remember hitting the brakes when the train began to tip over, minutes after speeding up during a straightaway.

The NTSB found no evidence that Bostian was impaired or using a cellphone. The agency partly blamed Amtrak for not adding automatic speed control systems along the Northeast Corridor, the train system’s busiest route.

Bostian has said he was disoriented before the accident on account of an object striking the train before derailment. He said via radio traffic that a commuter train nearby had been hit by a rock, though the NTSB has not found evidence of an object hitting the Amtrak train.

Read more

Amtrak to put inward-facing cameras in trains after Philly crash

NTSB chairman Christopher Hart said last year that the agency believes Bostian was “distracted from this radio conversation about the damaged train and forgot where he was,” speeding to a level that exceeded safety limits.

Amtrak has agreed to pay $265 million to settle claims filed by victims and their families, AP reported.

The citizen complaint against Bostian was brought by attorneys for a family of one victim, Rachel Jacobs, who was killed in the crash. Thomas Kline, the family’s attorney, said Thursday that the charges filed against Bostian “ratifies the fact that there are important circumstances where citizens who are aggrieved and who follow the legal process can achieve justice,” AP reported.

The complaint says that Bostian was familiar with the route, understood that nearly 250 people were on board and knew that speeding to certain levels could cause derailment.

In the same category are

Duterte declares martial law on Philippines island amid ISIS-linked attack (PHOTO) Published time: 23 May, 2017 16:22 Militants affiliated with Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) have launched an attack on the city of Marawi in t...
Spies on both sides of Atlantic hunting for Manchester bomb culprits Published time: 23 May, 2017 16:07 Intelligence agencies from the UK and US are looking for anyone who may have been involved in the Manchester Arena ...
White supremacist teen converts to Islam, kills Neo-Nazi roommates for insulting his faith – report A white supremacist who converted to Islam killed his two Neo-Nazi roommates because they had offended his new faith, local media reported, citing pol...
‘Baby boxes’ shouldn’t be legalized in Russia, says Health Ministry Published time: 23 May, 2017 15:27 The Russian Health Ministry will not back the idea of so-called ‘baby boxes,’ special containers installed at hospi...
Man City manager Guardiola ‘in shock’ amid reports wife & daughters were at bomb attack concert Published time: 23 May, 2017 15:09 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is “in shock” after it emerged that his wife and their two young daughters we...
OPEC set to extend oil production cuts by 9 months Published time: 23 May, 2017 13:49 The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is likely to extend the deal to cut crude output for a...
No missing kids at Holiday Inn: Hotel debunks phony social media reports Published time: 23 May, 2017 13:54 No children were brought to the Holiday Inn in Manchester following the Ariana Grande concert, the hotel confirmed....
Greece fails to reach bailout deal with eurozone finance ministers Published time: 23 May, 2017 13:56 The International Monetary Fund, European finance ministers, and Greek authorities have fallen short of securing mo...
‘We stand together”: Manchester sporting community pays tribute to concert bombing victims As Manchester suffered a deadly bomb attack at a concert in the heart of the city on Monday night, killing 22 people and injuring 59 others, its sport...
Small glass of wine or beer a day increases breast cancer risk – study Published time: 23 May, 2017 13:17 Women who enjoy beer or wine may want to reconsider ordering a second round – or even their first one – the next ti...
ISIS claims responsibility for the Manchester Arena terrorist attack Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:51Edited time: 23 May, 2017 12:39 Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) has claimed responsibility for the terrorist ...
Bahrain police ‘kill 1 & injure dozens’ in raid on Shiite cleric’s home village – report Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:54 Activists in Bahrain said one protester has been killed and dozens of others injured as security forces cracked dow...
‘Unlike anything I’ve ever heard’: Manchester bombing witness talks to RT (VIDEO) A witness to the Manchester terrorist attack has told RT how he watched the tragedy unfold and how shocked he was that “something like that could happ...
UN’s North Korea sanctions experts targeted by ‘sustained’ hack attack – report A UN panel of experts investigating possible violations of North Korean sanctions have fallen victim to a “sustained” hack attack launched by unknown ...
Victims of Manchester terrorist attack complain of lax security at concert venue Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:39 People caught up in the Manchester terrorist attack are complaining that lax security measures were in place ahead ...
23-year-old man arrested in connection with Manchester terrorist attack Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:00Edited time: 23 May, 2017 11:15 A 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the Manchester bomb attack, p...
‘Evil losers’: Trump slams terrorists behind Manchester bombing (VIDEO) Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:02 US President Donald Trump has labelled the terrorists behind the concert bombing in Manchester “evil losers” after ...
Russia to cut Euro council fees over ongoing spat – report Published time: 23 May, 2017 10:38 Moscow will cut its membership fees to the Council of Europe because of the ban on participation at sessions of its...
Manchester fell victim to callous terrorist attack says British Prime Minister HomeUK Published time: 23 May, 2017 10:06Edited time: 23 May, 2017 10:09 Get short URL Security services are working to find out whether a te...

Special Promotion

Fancy a holiday in rural France ?

Find your ideal holiday accommodation in France, with peace of mind that all our properties are officially registered

Our aim is to provide potential holiday makers with a choice of properties, all of which are officially recognised by the French authorities as holiday lettings.  Every gite and holiday accommodation on our website is registered in France in one of two ways. It is either registered with the local Mayor as a tourism/short stay property or is is registered as a holiday letting business in France and so has a SIRET number. We will not advertise any properties unless we have seen evidence of this. If you want anymore information about this, please do contact us.

Follow us on Twitter 


Dont forget to “Like” us on Facebook


Other Video sections include:  Disclose TV – Twit Podcasts – Coming Soon our own Youtube Channel

We also recommend the excellent “No Agenda Podcast”  with Adam Curry & John C Dvorak


Comment on this story