Angola says ex-president’s son planned to steal $1.5bn

Latest news

    Jose Eduardo dos Santos appointed his son to head Angola’s $5bn oil-fuelled sovereign fund in 2013 [FILE: Herculano Coroado/Reuters]

    The son of Angola’s former president, Jose Eduardo dos Santos, planned to siphon off $1.5bn when he ran the oil-rich country’s sovereign wealth fund, the finance ministry said.

    Jose Filomeno dos Santos (nicknamed “Zenu”) is accused of “fraud, misappropriation of funds, money laundering and associating with criminals.”

    The $1.5bn figure is three times the sum he was initially accused of illegally transferring to a British bank.

    The finance ministry said that Filomeno dos Santos disguised the transfer as a project aimed at attracting investment in Angola with the help of a fake guarantee from Credit Suisse.

    The Swiss bank told AFP news agency that “documents had been forged” and that it had not received “any money relating to this case.”

    The finance ministry said $500 million had been transferred to a London bank and that Angola was supposed to make two more such payments.

    The first transfer was blocked by UK authorities who suspected foul play.

    Filomeno dos Santos was appointed to head the $5bn oil-fuelled sovereign fund by his father in 2013 but was sacked by President Joao Lourenco, who took power in January this year.

    Former central bank governor Valter Filipe da Silva, who has been charged alongside Filomeno dos Santos, has promised to “cooperate” with the authorities.

    Filomeno’s half-sister, Isabel dos Santos, was also sacked from her job as head of state oil giant Sonangol. Thought to be Africa’s richest woman, she has denied all allegations against her.

    Jose Eduardo dos Santos ruled Angola for 38 years with an iron grip. During his regime, he was accused of running the country’s economy to enrich himself and those around him.

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/angola-president-son-planned-steal-15bn-180410071318016.html

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and news agencies

    In the same category are

    Bus-truck crash kills 15 in western Afghanistan At least 15 people were killed when a bus collided with a truck in western Afghanistan, officials said, in the second major traffic accident this mont...
    Alzheimer’s Day: The journey of caring for one with the disease At least 5.7 million Americans live with Alzheimer's, according to the Alzheimer's Association Sheila often thinks back to the day more than two de...
    Embattled UK leader defiant after Brexit plan attacked A rattled UK PM May insisted her plan was the only one on the table, and Britain was prepared to walk away without a deal An angry Prime Minister T...
    Philippines: At least 29 dead in Cebu landslide Many workers were using shovels to dig on the second day of the rescue operation The Philippines has suspended all mining operations in seven regio...
    Tanzania: Death toll increases in Lake Victoria ferry disaster The ferry MV Nyerere overturned on Lake Victoria on Thursday with an unknown number of people aboard The death toll from Tanzania's ferry disaster ...
    India cancels talks with Pakistan over ‘brutal killings’ India's ruling BJP party, which is gearing for elections next year, advocates a tough stance towards Pakistan Barely 24 hours after India agreed to...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.