Assad government forces ‘take entire’ Eastern Ghouta

Latest news

    Syrian government forces have retaken the town of Douma, thus gaining full control of the former rebel-held enclave of Eastern Ghouta, according to a Russian military official.

    Syrian troops pushed the last rebel fighters out of Douma on Thursday, Major-General Yury Yevtushenko, the head of Russia’s Centre for Syrian Reconciliation, told local news media.

    “Today, a landmark event in the history of the Syrian Arab Republic took place,” he was quoted as saying by the Russian agency Sputnik.

    “The state flag flown over a building … in the city of Douma marked the regained control over this settlement, and consequently over entire Eastern Ghouta.”

    There has been no official statement from the Syrian government so far.

    Russian military police have been deployed on the ground to take over Douma’s security, Russian news agency RIA reported.

    {articleGUID}

    The developments come after Jaish al-Islam, the last remaining rebel group in Eastern Ghouta, reached a deal on Sunday with Russia under which its fighters would abandon Douma and head for an opposition-held area in northern Syria.

    The agreement includes a ceasefire and the evacuation of fighters and civilians from the area.

    Under the deal, only the Russian military police, not the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, are allowed to enter Douma after the evacuation.

    Crossing points will be opened to commercial movement as soon as the Russian military police enter the city.

    The deal also ensures the release of all pro-government prisoners held in Douma.

    The agreement came a day after a chemical attack killed at least 70 people and affected hundreds of other Douma residents.

    Eastern Ghouta has been under government siege since 2013 as part of its so-called siege and starvation tactics.

    Assad’s next steps

    Al Jazeera’s Zena Khodr, reporting from Beirut in neighbouring Lebanon, said: “This is no doubt a victory for the pro-government alliance because Eastern Ghouta has long been a thorn in the side of the government, right at the doorstep of the capital, Damascus, the government seat of power.”

    Pro-regime media outlets are reporting that government forces are already planning the next steps, she said.

    “There are territories and districts that are under the control of ISIL [Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant group], and what we understand is that the pro-government alliance is going to focus on those districts to clear them from ISIL fighters in order to consolidate control of the capital and to put the government in a very comfortable position with help from its its allies, Russia and Iran.”

    WATCH: US weighs military action after Syria chemical attack

    Douma and Eastern Ghouta have come under heavy ground and aerial bombardment by pro-government forces in recent weeks.

    The suspected chemical attack in Douma was the largest of it kind in Syria since last April, drawing international outrage and prompting a war of words between US and Russia.

    Syria’s government and Russia have denied the attack took place, but rescuers and medics have reported the deaths of dozens of people, including many women and children.

    Three rival draft resolutions to investigate suspected chemical-weapons attacks in Syria failed to pass at the UN Security Council on Tuesday. 

    The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) is due to send a fact-finding mission to Douma to investigate the alleged use of chemical weapons.

    Al Jazeera’s Rory Challand, reporting from Moscow, said the government takeover of Douma “will have an impact on the OPCW fact-finding mission”.

    “The region is now directly under the control of Russian military police and the Syrian government,” he said.

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/assad-government-forces-entire-eastern-ghouta-180412134000341.html

    “That might have an impact on what they find on the ground when they look for evidence of what happened last weekend.”

    In the same category are

    Saudia Arabia’s statement on Jamal Khashoggi’s killing in full Below the full statement by Saudi Arabia's state news agency SPA on the killing of Jamal Khashoggi.  The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's Public Prosecutor s...
    Saudi Arabia admits Jamal Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate Saudi Arabia has admitted that journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside its consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul, according to the kingdom's ...
    Saudi Arabia confirms Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate Saudi Arabia has admitted that journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside its consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul, according to the kingdom's...
    US indicts Russian over attempt to interfere in November election The US government has charged a Russian national with playing a key financial role in a Kremlin-backed plan to conduct "information warfare" against t...
    Will Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance impact US-Saudi relations? More than two weeks after Jamal Khashoggi disappeared, his fate remains unclear. But US President Donald Trump has admitted for the first time the jou...
    Nicaragua must allow access to human rights investigators: OAS The Organization of American States (OAS) has denounced a "criminal cocktail" of human rights abuses allegedly perpetrated by Nicaraguan authorities ...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.