Duterte to Trump: ‘Lay Off’ the Human Rights While in the Philippines

Latest news

    Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte told reporters on Wednesday that he was prepared to tell his American counterpart, Donald Trump, to “lay off” if Trump challenged him on reports that his administration is violating the human rights of its citizens.

    Duterte, who took office in June 2016, has come under fire for his campaign against illegal drug trafficking, which has resulted in the deaths of thousands of Philippine citizens caught in violent police exchanges. Duterte won the presidency largely because of his focus on the eradication of violent drug crime as a candidate.

    Shortly before leaving the Philippines for a summit in Vietnam on Wednesday, Duterte answered questions on Trump’s scheduled visit to the nation next week. One reporter asked Duterte what he would tell Trump if he mentioned human rights concerns in the Asian country.

    “You want to ask a question, I’ll give you an answer. Lay off. That is not your business. That is my business. I take care of my country and I will nurture my country to health,” Duterte responded, according to Reuters.

    The Philippine Star notes that White House officials have stated that Trump does expect to mention human rights concerns while meeting with Duterte. Duterte, on the other hand, expects to discuss “trade, terrorism, and the U.S. position on the South China Sea dispute” with Trump.

    China claims most of the South China Sea, which in the Philippines, is referred to as the West Philippine Sea, including Filipino, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Malaysian, and Bruneian territory. An international tribunal rejected China’s claims to the region, including Philippine territory in the Spratly Islands, in 2016; the Chinese government responded with an announcement that it would ignore the verdict.

    Duterte said he could not forecast his discussion with Trump on the South China Sea, as Trump is currently in China meeting with President Xi Jinping.

    “To all of these things, I would just say that we all hunger for peace and if we can talk about it in a very civilized manner. I would be glad to participate in the discussion,” Duterte told reporters, according to the Star. “We will wait for results when I would be in a position to give him a balanced answer.”

    While American officials have said that Duterte and Trump enjoy a “warm rapport,” concerns exist that the two explosive personalities may clash over Duterte’s support of extrajudicial killings in the war against drugs. Nonetheless, Duterte spokesman Harry Roque insisted on CNN on Wednesday that he did not expect any conflict between the two leaders.

    “I don’t think it will be a contentious point between the two presidents,” he said. “To begin with, President Trump has said that President Duterte has done the right thing in embarking on this war on drugs.”

    “I think President Duterte, if the issue crops up, will highlight that the exercise of police power is always legitimate in any democratic society,” he added.

    The website Rappler notes that Roque himself served as a human rights lawyer before joining the Duterte administration.

    Duterte’s language regarding Trump has been much more favorable than his attitude towards America generally. In October, Duterte promised to treat Trump “as an important leader” and “in the most righteous way” in the Philippines. He has referred to Trump as “profound” and said of their relationship, “we have no problem there.”

    “We remain the best of friends with America,” Duterte said last month.

    In contrast, Duterte referred to America as a “lousy” country in July and asserted, “There will never be a time that I will go to America during my term, or even thereafter.”

    Trump and Duterte will first meet in Vietnam, where they will both attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit. Trump’s final stop on his Asia tour will be Manila, where Duterte will host a summit of the Association of South East Asia Nations (ASEAN).

    View the original article: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/breitbart/~3/oSP73iU08vs/

    Follow Frances Martel on Facebook and Twitter.

    In the same category are

    Elizabeth Warren, Without Evidence, Accuses Trump of Making ‘Creepy Physical Threats’ Sen. Elizabeth Warren on Monday evening (D-MA) accused President Donald Trump, without citing any evidence, of making “creepy physical threats” agains...
    Donald Trump: I Will Only Pay on Elizabeth Warren Bet ‘If I Can Test Her Personally’ President Donald Trump said he would only pay off on a bet to Sen. Elizabeth Warren if he could test her claim of American Indian heritage “personally...
    Democrats Turn on Elizabeth Warren Over October Surprise DNA Report Democrats on Monday reacted with dismay and disbelief to Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s release just three weeks before the midterm elections, of a DNA test ...
    Elizabeth Warren Demands $1M Charity Donation from Trump over 1.6% Max Native DNA Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) is demanding President Donald Trump pony up $1 million after taking up his challenge to release DNA test results to quant...
    Elizabeth Warren Releases DNA Test Purporting to Show 0.1 to 1.6% Native Ancestry Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) has declared herself vindicated for a decades-long claim to be Cherokee, thanks to a DNA test she ordered in response to ...
    Van Hollen: Trump ‘Belittling’ Sexual Assault Survivors During Kavanaugh Battle ‘Energized’ Dems Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) said President Donald Trump comments about Christine Blasey Ford during the battle to ...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.