Egypt to probe ex-army chief and aide over secret files

Latest news

    Sami Anan, 69, had been accused by the Egyptian army of ‘incitement against the military’ [File: Reuters]

    The Egyptian army has said it will launch an investigation into Sami Anan, the former Egyptian chief-of-staff and Hisham Genena, the country’s former top auditor, who had served as Anan’s presidential campaign manager prior to its suspension

    The Supreme Committee of the Armed Forces (SCAF) said on Monday that the decision followed Genena’s remarks on Sunday, in which he claimed that Anan was in possession of “documents and evidence” that would undermine the country and its leadership.

    In an interview with HuffPost Arabi, Genena said Anan was in possession of “secret” documents that would incriminate several people in power who were involved in deadly events that unfolded following the January 25 uprising.

    According to Genena, Anan threatened to leak those documents if he were to be legally charged. During the interview, Genena expressed concern over Anan’s safety, saying he feared a potential assassination attempt.

    Army spokesman Tamer Rifai considered Genena’s remarks a crime against the state and its institutions.

    Egypt: Sisi gets clear run as ‘final rival’ quits election race

    “The armed forces will use all the rights it is guaranteed by the constitution to protection [the country’s] national security and preserve its honor and dignity,” he said, adding that the investigation will be referred to the relevant legislative bodies who will be taking legal action against both defendants.

    Anan’s presidential campaign was abruptly suspended after being arrested on accusations he committed violations that “warrant official investigation”.

    The 69-year-old was also accused of incitement against the military.

    Last month, Genana was seriously injured during a suspected kidnapping attempt, his lawyers had said.

    ‘Boycotting elections’

    Separately on Monday, an Egyptian lawyer submitted an official complaint to the public prosecutor, calling for the arres of Abdul Moneim Aboul Fotouh, a leading opposition figure and ex-presidential candidate, after the latter appeared on an Al Jazeera television show from London.

    A former member of the Muslim Brotherhood and leader of the centrist Strong Egypt Party, Aboul Fotouh ran as an independent candidate in the 2012 presidential elections, gaining nearly a fifth of the vote in the first round.

    The vote six years ago marked Egypt’s first competitive elections following the 2011 revolution, which overthrew former leader Hosni Mubarak.  

    Lawyer Samir Sabry accused Aboul Fotouh of “spreading fake news” and demeaning Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.

    In an interview with Al Jazeera earlir this week, Aboul Fotouh condemned Sisi’s crackdown on opposition and said that the upcoming presidential elections were not fair, transparent, or “democratic”, especially with the absence of real opposition.

    View the original article: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/02/egypt-probe-army-chief-aide-secret-files-180213065038747.html

    “A boycott of this mockery is a duty, in our opinion, because we don’t accept for Egyptians to participate in a farce,” he had previously said of the March vote.

    In the same category are

    Suspected explosive device found at George Soros’s New York home A package containing what appeared to be an explosive device has been found in a mail box outside the New York residence of billionaire financier Geo...
    Two tropical storms to make landfall in Mexico on Tuesday Mexico's Pacific coast will be pounded on Tuesday by two storms headed its way, each with its distinct characteristics. The larger of the two storms ...
    Business hopes and refugee woes after Eritrea-Ethiopia peace deal Adi Quala, Eritrea and Rama, Ethiopia - Teklehaimanot Tesfazigi is 103 years old and has witnessed Eritrea's many stages, from the Italian colonial pe...
    Khashoggi’s killing planned, says Turkish President Erdogan Turkey, Istanbul - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday that the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was planned by Saudi off...
    Iraq: Deadly car bomb hits market near Mosul At least four people have been killed and 15 others wounded in a car bomb blast south of Mosul city, police and medical sources said. A vehicle packe...
    Iraq: Car bomb blast kills four, wounds 15 near Mosul At least four people have been killed and 15 others wounded in a car bomb blast in the northern Iraq's town of Qayyara, police and medical sources sa...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.