Grand jury indicts Texas deputy & husband for the murder of John Hernandez

View the original article:

An off-duty sheriff’s deputy and her husband have been indicted for murder after the husband choked a man in a Denny’s parking lot in Houston. The man later died from those injuries, according to the medical examiner.

Sheriff Deputy Chauna Thompson, 45, and her husband, Terry Thompson, 41, were both indicted for the murder of John Hernandez, 24, District Attorney Kim Ogg said at a news conference Thursday. 

“We believe this grand jury’s true bill is a reflection of our community’s belief that a crime occurred and that that crime was murder and it was participated in by Terry Thompson and his wife, Deputy Chauna Thompson,” Ogg said. “We grieve with the Hernandez family and we wish them Godspeed during this difficult time.” 

More than a dozen witnesses testified, and a grand jury reviewed the autopsy report, the findings of the medical examiner and saw video evidence that was also released to the public. Ogg said Chauna and Terry were offered the opportunity to testify, but they both declined.

Ogg said that the couple participated in the murder under Texas accomplice law, which states that a third party is considered responsible if that person “solicits, encourages, directs, aids, or attempts to aid the other person to commit the offense.” 

Read more

Man’s death ruled homicide after chokehold by Texas deputy’s husband (GRAPHIC VIDEO)

The DA added that while they are investigating if the crime should be considered a hate crime, the grand jury has only moved on allegations of murder.

During the news conference, Ogg said that Chauna and Terry have been ordered to turn themselves in immediately, otherwise, a fugitive task force is standing by.

“We hope we don’t need anything like that, there’s no indication that we would,” Ogg said.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez told reporters that Chauna has been “cooperative” during the process.

The couple faces five years to life in prison if convicted. Bond has been set at $100,000 each, according to KTRK.

“This is exactly what we wanted,” said Jose Morales, a close friend of the Hernandez family, according to the Houston Chronicle. “Thanks to all the attention, justice is going to be served.”

It began on May 28, when Terry saw Hernandez urinating in public view at a Denny’s parking lot. Thompson confronted Hernandez and a fight broke out. During the scrap, Terry put Hernandez in a chokehold for 10 to 15 minutes, according to witnesses.

During the fight, Chauna, who was off-duty at the time, arrived at the restaurant in a separate vehicle and allegedly helped restrain Hernandez.

Hernandez’s wife and 3-year old daughter were also pleading with the Thompson’s to stop, but the couple did not listen.

“She was crying and telling (the man beating Hernandez) stop and he didn’t even stop,” Hernandez’s wife said, according to KHOU. “I told him, ‘Please stop. Don’t do that to him. He’s drunk.’ He wasn’t in any position to fight. But, he didn’t have any compassion. He was really angry.”

Hernandez was later rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead three days later.

The Harris County medical examiner said Hernandez died from a lack of oxygen to the brain caused by strangulation and chest compression, according to the Houston Chronicle.

After Hernandez died, family members and friends pressed for Chauna and Terry to be arrested. Others joined them and a large group marched to city hall.

Scot Courtney, an attorney for Terry Thompson who says his client was acting out of self-defense, thinks the grand jury process was rushed by the protesters and they did not have time to consider all the evidence.

“It’s disappointing that citizens can simply march on the courthouse and demand somebody be indicted for murder,” he said, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Ogg said that the process happened faster than usual, but that it was a “strategic decision” to ensure all the evidence could be presented.

“I think the community spoke loudly and clearly yesterday, but I didn’t want to be reactive,” Ogg said. “For us, it was a strategic decision to take the case to the grand jury as opposed to direct file and it was done for evidentiary purposes. We wanted everybody to get the chance to testify.”

In the same category are

UK school inspectors to ask girls in hijabs why they wear the Islamic garment School inspectors will grill Muslim girls wearing hijabs in primary school in the UK to find out why they cover their heads and make sure they are not...
Paris cop goes on shooting rampage after break-up with girlfriend, kills 3 before committing suicide A police officer shot dead three people and injured three others before committing suicide in the northern suburbs of Paris, according to local prosec...
Strategy to ‘suffocate’ Gaza strip revealed in Israeli govt docs from Six Day War Israel has released declassified documents from after the Six Day War which reveal the government’s plans to starve Gaza and its controversial plans t...
‘There are no unemployed people in the UK’: Chancellor makes spectacular gaffe on air (VIDEO) Published time: 19 Nov, 2017 15:19 As the Tory party struggles to put out the fires from multiple public gaffes ahead of this week's budget, Chancello...
Dates set for first ‘man free’ festival in Sweden, tickets to go on sale in December Published time: 19 Nov, 2017 16:19 The first man-free music event organized in response to sexual offences at concerts in Sweden will be held at the e...
US Marine kills elderly civilian in drunk-driving accident in Okinawa, Japan Published time: 19 Nov, 2017 07:18Edited time: 19 Nov, 2017 09:23 A US military truck collided with a light vehicle in Okinawa, Japan, killing an elde...

Dont forget to “Like” us on Facebook

Need something to share, visit our sister site for the

‘News in the last 30 days”

in a clear concise package ….


If you are an artist or interested in art, visit our art website and read about todays artscene and browse some of our artist profiles


Comment on this story