Arabic AR Chinese (Simplified) ZH-CN English EN French FR German DE Japanese JA Portuguese PT Russian RU Spanish ES Ukrainian UK

Japan’s nuclear watchdog urges discharge of Fukushima radioactive water into ocean

Latest news

    A final decision to release over a million tons of radioactive water from the crippled Fukushima plant should be made “within this year,” as its operator is running out of land to store the waste, Japan’s nuclear regulator said.

    Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the operator of the Fukushima plant, is short on time to decide what to do with some one million tons of radioactive water it has been storing in hundreds of tanks at the plant, Japan’s Nuclear Regulation Authority [NRA] Chairman Toyoshi Fuketa told the mayor of Naraha, a town near the stricken facility, on Thursday.

    “We will face a new challenge if a decision [about the release] is not made within this year,” Fuketa said, as reported by Japan Today.

    Toxic water at the plant is being diluted through a processing system that can remove 62 types of radioactive material except tritium, which, the NRA chairman claimed, is totally safe to the environment.

    Read more

    Fukushima potentially leaking radioactive water for 5 months, owners admit

    “It is scientifically clear that there will be no impact on marine products or to the environment,” Fuketa assured the mayor.

    TEPCO has been constantly adding new water tanks to store the water it uses to keep the melted fuel rods cool, as well as the groundwater contaminated in the process. According to Japan’s nuclear watchdog, there are currently 650 tanks at the facility that store about one million tons of water. As of July last year there were 580 tanks and 770,000 tons of liquid.

    The increase means TEPCO and the Japanese government have very little time before the capacity to hold water at the plant is overstretched. Fuketa estimates it may take an additional “two or three years” to prepare for the dumping after the decision is made.

    “(TEPCO) has been building new tanks, but it will eventually run out of land,” an unnamed NRA official said, according to The Japan Times.

    While both the NRA and TEPCO claim the tritium-contaminated water does not pose any risk to maritime life, local fishermen’s unions have been staunchly opposing the pending release, arguing the release of the radioactive water would stir speculation and make their work impossible.

    Last July, TEPCO announced the decision was “already made” to release the tritium-contaminated water, with the company’s chairman Takashi Kawamura saying TEPCO “could have decided much earlier.” However, after facing a backlash from local fishermen, the effort has stalled without ever going ahead.

    Read more

    Fukushima’s radioactive water to be released into ocean under new plan

    Apart from the potential massive discharge of radioactive water into the sea, the facility is slowly endangering the environment with regular leaks and groundwater contamination. Last September, TEPCO admitted that six of its indicators malfunctioned and were showing substantially higher groundwater levels than in reality. As a result, the company said the contaminated water might have been leaking into the soil for five months before it discovered the problem.

    View the original article: https://www.rt.com/news/415786-fukushima-dump-radioactive-water-watchdog/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

    In March 2011, a massive tsunami triggered by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake caused a fuel meltdown in three of the plant’s reactors, which led to massive release of radiation. The Fukushima disaster is regarded as the most serious nuclear catastrophe since the Chernobyl nuclear accident in 1986.

    In the same category are

    US chemical blame-game: Well-timed PR stunt or trick to justify military presence in Syria? By boldly blaming Russia for all the chemical weaponry-related incidents in Syria, the US may be seeking to ramp up tensions and jeopardize the peace ...
    Dozens killed & injured in twin bomb attack in Libya’s Benghazi (GRAPHIC VIDEO) At least 33 people have been killed and scores more wounded in a double car bomb attack in Benghazi, Libya. No group has yet claimed responsibility fo...
    Trump to talk ‘America First’ at Davos, as his Fed nominee wins Senate approval The Senate has approved Jerome Powell to be the next chairman of the Federal Reserve, as President Trump heads to an economic conference in Davos, Swi...
    Facebook invents ‘flick,’ a new unit of time to measure digital audio & video Facebook has created its own unit of time called the “flick,” aimed at helping those who work in the digital audio and video fields to divide frames i...
    ‘Dreamers’ protest outside Schumer’s home & office over DACA Immigration activists gathered outside Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer’s (D-New York) home and office to protest his deal with Republicans to end...
    Montana signs executive order forcing net neutrality Following the repeal of net neutrality by Federal Communications Commission, Montana Governor Steve Bullock brought it back to the state through an ex...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *