Arabic AR Chinese (Simplified) ZH-CN English EN French FR German DE Japanese JA Portuguese PT Russian RU Spanish ES Ukrainian UK

Lawyer: Convicted Croat general might have planned death

Latest news

    The lawyer for a former Croatian general who died after apparently swallowing cyanide at a war crimes hearing in the Netherlands said Tuesday he might have planned on taking his life long before that day.

    Nika Pinter told the Associated Press in an interview that Gen. Slobodan Praljak had asked his family not to be present at the trial hearing Wednesday and left “a letter back in 2012 or even earlier, saying or asking how his funeral has to be.”

    “Nowadays, I can make some combination and conclusion that he had a plan in his head and that he wanted to protect his family of seeing something like that,” she said, speaking in English. “But it’s just my conclusion. I don’t have any firm evidence for that.”

    On Wednesday, Praljak drank from a small bottle that he said contained poison, seconds after an appeals judge at the U.N.’s International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia confirmed his 20-year sentence for war crimes during the 1992-95 Bosnian war, including murder and deportation of Bosnian Muslims.

    Dutch prosecutors said after an autopsy he had cyanide in his system.

    Pinter said that Praljak killed himself because he could not accept living as a convicted war criminal.

    “At the very beginning when we started to work on this case, he told me: listen, for one minute I don’t want to be a war criminal,” she said.

    Pinter said she thought he meant that she should work hard to collect facts and evidence that he did not commit war crimes.

    “I really never, really never thought that he would do something like that,” Pinter said, adding that after defending Praljak for 14 years in the tribunal, they became friends.

    “I know there is a judgment, I recognize the judgment but I don’t respect the judgment,” she said.

    The U.N. tribunal ordered an independent review of its internal operations following the death. The tribunal said its review was meant to complement the ongoing investigation of Praljak’s death by Dutch prosecutors, including possible answers on how Praljak got the poison.

    Croatia’s authorities raised doubts about whether security and medical staff at the tribunal responded quickly enough.

    Pinter said that she remembers little about the confusion in the courtroom after Praljak’s actions.

    “I don’t know the scene. I was broken. I put my head in my hands and I cannot describe it. It was a big shock for me. So sorry, I even never looked at the video, I couldn’t. And I don’t know if I will ever look at it,” she said.

    ———

    View the original article: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/lawyer-convicted-croat-general-planned-death-51585519

    AP Writers Dusan Stojanovic and Jovana Gec contributed from Belgrade, Serbia.

    In the same category are

    Verdict to be delivered in family ax murder trial A South African man accused of murdering three members of his family with an ax arrived in court on Monday morning to hear the verdict in his case.Hen...
    Record Everest climber returns, already planning next trip A Sherpa climbing guide who scaled Mount Everest for a record 22nd time last week returned from the mountain on Sunday and said he's already planning ...
    The Latest: LatAm bloc decries Venezuela vote, urges action The Latest on Venezuela's presidential election (all times local):8:30 a.m.A grouping of 14 countries from throughout the Americas is refusing to reco...
    Maduro wins Venezuela election challengers call illegitimate Embattled socialist incumbent Nicolas Maduro won Venezuela's presidential election by a landslide in a disputed vote marred by irregularities and mass...
    China says it can’t guarantee no more trade tension with US China's government said Monday it cannot guarantee that renewed trade tension with Washington can be avoided after U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuc...
    What you need to know about North Korea dismantling its nuclear test site North Korea has vowed this week to dismantle their nuclear testing facility at Punggye-ri in front of the world’s media, the latest sign of goodwill i...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *