Manchester councils refuse to bury or cremate suicide bomber Salman Abedi


View the original article: https://www.rt.com/uk/390286-salman-abedi-body-manchester/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Suicide bomber Salman Abedi, who killed 22 people and injured over a hundred more in the Manchester Arena attack last week, will never be buried or cremated in Greater Manchester, local authorities insist.

City officials said they will do “everything in their power” to stop Abedi, 22, from being buried, cremated or laid to rest in Manchester, according to the Daily Mail.

Read more

‘Manchester bombing’s 23rd victim’: 7/7 survivor takes his own life after attack

Abedi’s body is currently being kept in a morgue outside the city, the Manchester Evening News (MEN)  reports, and has not been kept in proximity with the remains of his 22 victims.

The case mirrors that of ‘Moors Murderer’ Ian Brady, who wanted his ashes to be scattered in his home city of Glasgow, but councils across the UK refused to take in the body.

“Just like Ian Brady, every effort is going into making sure that there is not a chance Abedi can be buried or cremated in Greater Manchester,” a source told the MEN.

The body of the terrorist belongs to the coroner as Abedi’s family is in Libya.

Abedi’s father and his younger brother have been arrested by counterterrorist forces, while his elder brother Ismail, 23, was arrested in Manchester following the attack.

“The body is the property of the coroner and the coronial process must take place,” the source told the MEN.

Police say they now believe Abedi carried out the attack alone.

It was previously thought he had been part of a wider terrorist “network,” but a seven-day investigation involving 1,000 police officers and “hundreds” of witnesses concluded that Abedi largely acted alone in the run-up to the attack on the concert venue.

Read more

Terrorist suspects should be locked up in internment camps, says ex-police chief

Abedi reportedly shopped for the bomb components as he returned to Manchester on May 18 from Libya, where he is understood to have been prior to the attack.

“Our inquiries show Abedi himself made most of the purchases of the core components and what is becoming apparent is that many of his movements and actions have been carried out alone during the four days from him landing in the country and committing this awful attack,” said Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson, head of the northwest counterterrorism unit, according to the Guardian.

The detective stressed, however, that it is still too early to exclude other lines of inquiry, as 11 of the 16 people arrested in connection with the attack remain in custody.

“It is vital that we make sure that he is not part of a wider network and we cannot rule this out yet. There remain a number of things that concern us about his behavior prior to the attack and those of his associates which we need to get to the bottom of,” said Jackson.

Meanwhile, Britain’s domestic intelligence service MI5 announced it will carry out an internal review of its handling of the Manchester attack, after it emerged Abedi had been known to have extremist views and to be a potential threat.

In the same category are

‘Hated for Jewish roots’: Spanish paper apologizes to English football club for ‘distasteful’ claim Spain’s best-selling newspaper ‘Marca’ apologized after it caused controversy for claiming Tottenham Hotspur are hated by other teams because of their...
France considers massive tax hike on hard liquor Published time: 17 Oct, 2017 14:32 The price of cognac and calvados could increase significantly in France as the government plans a tax increase on s...
Bitcoin worse than casino gambling – Russian economy minister Published time: 17 Oct, 2017 14:35 As an investment bitcoin is less predictable than playing roulette in a casino, and unqualified investors shouldn’t...
Iraq plans to build new refinery in seized Kirkuk – oil ministry Published time: 17 Oct, 2017 14:15Edited time: 17 Oct, 2017 14:15 Iraqi Oil Minister Jabar al-Luaibi has announced plans to construct a new refinery i...
Iraq plans to build new refinery in seized Kirkuk – oil ministry Published time: 17 Oct, 2017 14:15Edited time: 17 Oct, 2017 14:15 Iraqi Oil Minister Jabar al-Luaibi has announced plans to construct a new refinery i...
NFL to meet in New York in attempt to solve anthem controversy Published time: 17 Oct, 2017 13:55 The National Football League (NFL) will try to find a way out of the anthem crisis during an owners meeting that wi...

Dont forget to “Like” us on Facebook


Need something to share, visit our sister site for the

‘News in the last 30 days”

in a clear concise package ….

 

If you are an artist or interested in art, visit our art website and read about todays artscene and browse some of our artist profiles

 

Comment on this story