Nearly 40k AT&T workers go on strike after contract negotiations fail


View the original article: https://www.rt.com/usa/389027-att-strike-cwa-40k/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

AT&T workers have begun a three-day strike, accusing the company of failing to make fair proposals during contract negotiations. It is the largest strike in the US since 40,000 Verizon workers walked out last year.

Beware of other sites you have never heard of giving you news, a lot of them are just wanting to feed you multiple popup adverts and malware

Visit us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/notinthemainstreamnews/
We use all our content under fair use to compare who is Fake and who is not, we do not claim ownership at all, all stories are published by the owners as FREE RSS Feeds.

Othen.bizRegisteredgites.com Giteinfrance.biz – Simonothen.com = Northernsoulers.uk – LaBataille.co.uk

On Friday, the Communications Workers of America (CWA) announced that roughly 38,000 AT&T wireless, wireline and DirecTV workers had walked off the job after AT&T failed to “present serious proposals that invest in good jobs with a future.

We will no longer stand by as AT&T hems and haws at the bargaining table, keeping its own workers from achieving the American Dream they once promised,” said Dennis Trainor, Vice President of CWA District 1, according to a statement. “This is a warning to AT&T: there’s only one way out of this now – a fair contract – and we’ll settle for nothing less.

On Wednesday, the CWA issued an ultimatum that wireless workers in 36 states and Washington, DC would go on strike if a deal could not be reached.

The workers were joined by more than 15,000 wireline workers, in California, Connecticut and Nevada, as well as around 2,000 DirecTV technicians across California and Nevada, who staged a one-day grievance strike in March. Those 17,000 workers have been working without a contract for more than a year. 

Read more

21,000 AT&T workers poised for strike over benefits, internet access

Contract negotiations have been ongoing since February when an agreement was reached that allowed the union to strike at any time.

AT&T spokesman Marty Richter said the company was offering wage and pension increases and claims that workers are well paid by industry standards, earning $68,000 in annual pay and benefits, twice the salary for retail workers, according to the New York Times.

A strike is in no one’s best interest, and it’s baffling as to why union leadership would call one when we’re offering terms in which our employees in these contracts … will be better off financially,” AT&T spokesman Marty Richter told Reuters.

As a part of the contract negotiations, the workers are demanding wage increases, affordable healthcare, a fair scheduling policy and job security from outsourcing.

The union cites a recent report that found 12,000 employees, or about 30 percent of the employees across all business divisions, have had their jobs outsourced since 2011. The report claims that the company’s widespread outsourcing has contributed to an overall decrease in wages across the company.

Our fight for a fair contract is about more than just my co-workers and me – it’s about fighting a system that’s been rigged against us and way too many others for far too long,” said Mark Bautista, an AT&T wireline worker from El Sobrante, California, according to the statement. “On the picket lines today, I’ll be chanting, ‘No Contract, No Peace,’ until I lose my voice.

CWA states that the workers will return to their jobs on Monday, but said they are willing to go on an open-ended strike if it “becomes necessary.”

In the same category are

Duterte declares martial law on Philippines island amid ISIS-linked attack (PHOTO) Published time: 23 May, 2017 16:22 Militants affiliated with Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) have launched an attack on the city of Marawi in t...
Spies on both sides of Atlantic hunting for Manchester bomb culprits Published time: 23 May, 2017 16:07 Intelligence agencies from the UK and US are looking for anyone who may have been involved in the Manchester Arena ...
White supremacist teen converts to Islam, kills Neo-Nazi roommates for insulting his faith – report A white supremacist who converted to Islam killed his two Neo-Nazi roommates because they had offended his new faith, local media reported, citing pol...
‘Baby boxes’ shouldn’t be legalized in Russia, says Health Ministry Published time: 23 May, 2017 15:27 The Russian Health Ministry will not back the idea of so-called ‘baby boxes,’ special containers installed at hospi...
Man City manager Guardiola ‘in shock’ amid reports wife & daughters were at bomb attack concert Published time: 23 May, 2017 15:09 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is “in shock” after it emerged that his wife and their two young daughters we...
OPEC set to extend oil production cuts by 9 months Published time: 23 May, 2017 13:49 The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is likely to extend the deal to cut crude output for a...
No missing kids at Holiday Inn: Hotel debunks phony social media reports Published time: 23 May, 2017 13:54 No children were brought to the Holiday Inn in Manchester following the Ariana Grande concert, the hotel confirmed....
Greece fails to reach bailout deal with eurozone finance ministers Published time: 23 May, 2017 13:56 The International Monetary Fund, European finance ministers, and Greek authorities have fallen short of securing mo...
‘We stand together”: Manchester sporting community pays tribute to concert bombing victims As Manchester suffered a deadly bomb attack at a concert in the heart of the city on Monday night, killing 22 people and injuring 59 others, its sport...
Small glass of wine or beer a day increases breast cancer risk – study Published time: 23 May, 2017 13:17 Women who enjoy beer or wine may want to reconsider ordering a second round – or even their first one – the next ti...
ISIS claims responsibility for the Manchester Arena terrorist attack Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:51Edited time: 23 May, 2017 12:39 Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) has claimed responsibility for the terrorist ...
Bahrain police ‘kill 1 & injure dozens’ in raid on Shiite cleric’s home village – report Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:54 Activists in Bahrain said one protester has been killed and dozens of others injured as security forces cracked dow...
‘Unlike anything I’ve ever heard’: Manchester bombing witness talks to RT (VIDEO) A witness to the Manchester terrorist attack has told RT how he watched the tragedy unfold and how shocked he was that “something like that could happ...
UN’s North Korea sanctions experts targeted by ‘sustained’ hack attack – report A UN panel of experts investigating possible violations of North Korean sanctions have fallen victim to a “sustained” hack attack launched by unknown ...
Victims of Manchester terrorist attack complain of lax security at concert venue Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:39 People caught up in the Manchester terrorist attack are complaining that lax security measures were in place ahead ...
23-year-old man arrested in connection with Manchester terrorist attack Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:00Edited time: 23 May, 2017 11:15 A 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the Manchester bomb attack, p...
‘Evil losers’: Trump slams terrorists behind Manchester bombing (VIDEO) Published time: 23 May, 2017 11:02 US President Donald Trump has labelled the terrorists behind the concert bombing in Manchester “evil losers” after ...
Russia to cut Euro council fees over ongoing spat – report Published time: 23 May, 2017 10:38 Moscow will cut its membership fees to the Council of Europe because of the ban on participation at sessions of its...
Manchester fell victim to callous terrorist attack says British Prime Minister HomeUK Published time: 23 May, 2017 10:06Edited time: 23 May, 2017 10:09 Get short URL Security services are working to find out whether a te...

Special Promotion

Fancy a holiday in rural France ?

Find your ideal holiday accommodation in France, with peace of mind that all our properties are officially registered

Our aim is to provide potential holiday makers with a choice of properties, all of which are officially recognised by the French authorities as holiday lettings.  Every gite and holiday accommodation on our website is registered in France in one of two ways. It is either registered with the local Mayor as a tourism/short stay property or is is registered as a holiday letting business in France and so has a SIRET number. We will not advertise any properties unless we have seen evidence of this. If you want anymore information about this, please do contact us.

Follow us on Twitter 


Dont forget to “Like” us on Facebook


Other Video sections include:  Disclose TV – Twit Podcasts – Coming Soon our own Youtube Channel

We also recommend the excellent “No Agenda Podcast”  with Adam Curry & John C Dvorak


Comment on this story