Arabic AR Chinese (Simplified) ZH-CN English EN French FR German DE Japanese JA Portuguese PT Russian RU Spanish ES Ukrainian UK

Primark remove ‘dangerous’ Christmas candle from sale

Latest news

    Primark candle burning uncontrollablyImage copyright Jenny Ferneyhough
    Image caption The £5 Christmas candle began to burn an hour after it was first lit

    A picture of a Primark candle bursting into flames has gone viral, after a mother-of-three took to Facebook to raise awareness of the potential hazard.

    Jenny Ferneyhough purchased the £5 candle – which she said developed into “massive flames” after an hour of burning – in Manchester on Saturday.

    The 33-year-old’s Facebook post has been shared 145,000 times.

    Primark said it is removing the product from sale and investigating the matter.

    ‘Dangerous around decorations’

    Mrs Ferneyhough, a Manchester City Council benefits officer, said she lit the candle – in the shape of a Christmas tree – after putting her three children to bed.

    She said the flame had spread from the wick to the whole candle within an hour.

    Image copyright Jenny Ferneyhough
    Image caption Jenny Ferneyhough, left, was with her husband Evan when the candle burst into flames

    She said: “Obviously everyone knows not to leave a flame unattended, but if you went to the loo, a couple of seconds later it could have burst into flames.

    “If it [develops into] a massive flame when anything else is around it, it could be very dangerous.”

    Speaking to the BBC, she added that she was especially concerned about people lighting the candle “around neighbouring decorations” during the festive period.

    Mrs Ferneyhough sent the pictures to Primark, who replied to say they were “very concerned” about the discovery.

    A company spokesperson has since said the product is being removed from sale, while the complaint is investigated “as a matter of urgency”.

    Mrs Ferneyhough said she was “reassured” by the massive response she had received to her post, less than 24 hours after posting the picture.

    She added the main reason for sharing the pictures was to raise awareness of the potential issue with the candle, and to stop people from lighting it unattended.

    View the original article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42269648

    “My husband went into the Manchester store to take a picture of the packaging, and a mum and her daughter said they’d seen the photo I shared of it in flames,” she added.

    In the same category are

    Zenit St Petersburg 3-0 Celtic (agg 3-1) Branislav Ivanovic powered home a header from a corner to put Zenit aheadCeltic's Europa League campaign ended at the first knockout hurdle as the Sc...
    Syrian refugees in the UK: ‘We’ve lost nothing but our country’ More than 10,000 Syrian refugees that have been settled in the UK since 2011.Home Secretary Amber Rudd has said the country will reach its target of r...
    Haiti suspends Oxfam operations Haiti has suspended Oxfam operations, as it investigates claims of sexual misconduct by charity staff in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake.The co...
    Six Nations 2018: Eddie Jones wary of ‘world-class’ Finn Russell Jones compares Scotland to the All BlacksSix Nations 2018: Scotland v EnglandVenue: Murrayfield Date: Saturday, 24 February Kick-off: 16:45 GMTCovera...
    Justin Forsyth resigns from Unicef Ex-Save the Children chief executive Justin Forsyth resigns from Unicef saying he doesn't want to 'damage' charitiesThis breaking news story is bein...
    Syria war: New deadly raids rock rebel-held Eastern Ghouta Image copyright AFP Image caption Rescue workers said the town of Douma came under sustained attack on Thursday Syrian government forces are repor...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *