Serbian ‘radical’ Vojislav Seselj convicted of war crimes

Latest news

    Serbian ultranationalist Vojislav Seselj is seen during his initial appearance at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands in February, 2003. [Toussaint Kluiters/Associated Press]

    The UN court in The Hague found Vojislav Seselj guilty of war crimes against Croatians in Serbia’s northern province of Vojvodina during the war in former Yugoslavia in the early 1990s and sentenced him to 10 years in prison.

    Seselj responded to the verdict on Wednesday by announcing on Twitter he was “proud of all my war crimes” and was “ready to repeat them again”.

    Since Seselj – leader of the Serbian Radical Party – spent eleven-and-a-half years in custody at The Hague since 2003, his sentence has already been served, the court said.

    The tribunal found Seselj guilty of inciting hate crimes with his nationalist speeches. One speech he gave to a Serb crowd in May 1992 sparked atrocities against ethnic Croats in Vojvodina.

    The verdict marked the first conviction by an international tribunal for inciting crimes through speeches. 

    In 2016, the war crimes tribunal initially acquitted Seselj of all nine charges he faced, but that was partially overturned on appeal.

    The court reaffirmed the establishment of a “Greater Serbia” was Seselj’s political goal, but that did not constitute a crime.

    ‘A free man’

    It maintained its ruling from the first verdict in 2016 that there was not enough evidence to prove a systematic attack was organised by Seselj against Bosniaks – Bosnian Muslims. 

    Serbian nationalist politician Seselj acquitted

    “From today, Vojislav Seselj is a free man,” Al Jazeera’s Adnan Rondic reported from The Hague.

    “The conclusion from two years ago still stands – that there was no proof that Seselj was responsible for sending Serbian volunteers to Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia with the aim of committing crimes.”

    In March 2016, in a 2-to-1 vote, the UN war crimes tribunal found Seselj innocent of crimes against humanity and war crimes. 

    Judge Flavia Lattanzi held the opposing view and said the conclusions reached by the other two were unfounded. 

    Prosecutors in 2016 appealed for a guilty verdict or a retrial and asked for Seselj to be handed a 28-year sentence, arguing the majority of judges made so many errors that they “invalidate the judgment as a whole”.

    Sufficiently humiliated

    Historian Marko Attila Hoare said the prosecution should not have indicted him when there were more important perpetrators who were never indicted.

    “It was important that he was convicted, particularly since all the other suspects from Serbia indicted over Bosnia were either acquitted or died before their trials were completed or begun,” Hoare said. 

    “I hope Seselj is sufficiently humiliated by the low sentence; it at least marks him down as a second- or third-ranking player, which he was. He was a loudmouthed attention-seeker who made himself infamous to the international public in the 1990s by his extreme statements, and certainly relished the publicity of being indicted and tried.”

    Seselj said on Wednesday after the ruling, “I’m proud of all my war crimes and I’m ready to repeat them again.”

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2018/04/serbian-radical-vojislav-seselj-convicted-war-crimes-180411124256468.html

    Since his temporary release from detention in The Hague in 2014 for cancer treatment, Seselj returned to politics and is a parliamentarian. He has lead numerous nationalist rallies since then and is a frequent guest on Serbian talk shows. 

    Al Jazeera World – Sarajevo My Love

    In the same category are

    Nicaragua: Pro-Ortega forces take opposition stronghold Monimbo A pro-government gunman stands near a barricade after the attack on Monimbo Pro-government gunmen and police took control of an opposition strongho...
    India: Two buildings collapse in Noida, several feared trapped The cause of the collapse was not immediately known, but a police case has been registered At least three people have been killed and several other...
    Refugees in Greece hopeless as Europe eyes more returns Manazza Fatima's 16-month-old daughter stands outside the cramped tent where they live outside a refugee camp Athens, Greece - Heat radiated from t...
    First direct Ethiopia-Eritrea flight in 20 years takes off Overwhelming demand saw Ethiopian Airlines operate two flights within 15 minutes of each other Ethiopian Airlines conducted the first direct passen...
    Constance Markievicz: A revolutionary Irish woman history forgot Constance Markievicz, pictured left, refused her seat in parliament because she refused to swear allegiance to the crown "I do wish your lot had th...
    Egypt renews detention for Al Jazeera’s Mahmoud Hussein Mahmoud Hussein is suffering poor physical and psychological health after 19 months in prison An Egyptian court in Cairo renewed the detention of A...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.