Arabic AR Chinese (Simplified) ZH-CN English EN French FR German DE Japanese JA Portuguese PT Russian RU Spanish ES Ukrainian UK

Trump wants to cut funds for UN missions in Middle East

Latest news

    The US State Department earlier this week said it seeks a 42 percent cut in funding for the UN Force in Lebanon [Karamallah Daher/Reuters]

    US President Donald Trump’s administration is seeking to decrease its financial contributions to the Middle East in 2019, most notably to UN missions in Lebanon, the occupied Golan Heights, and the Western Sahara.

    The plan, revealed on Monday, is unlikely to make it past sceptical politicians in Congress, however. 

    Douglas Pitkin, the director of the state department’s Bureau of Budget and Planning, told reporters on Monday that “because [the department is] looking for greater cost containment at the UN more generally, [it does] have a lower funding level than the full peacekeeping estimate”. 

    Pitkin added that these figures are subject to change.

    Trump’s plan includes slashing US contributions to the United Nations mission in Lebanon, as well as international peacekeeping missions worldwide. 

    Lebanon: Israel border wall ‘threatens security’

    The Department of State said earlier this week that it seeks a 42 percent cut for the UN Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), leaving the mission with $84.2m. The UNIFIL was established in 1978, and has been supporting the Lebanese army in maintaining calm in Lebanon’s south, where the country shares a border with Israel.

    Cuts made to the UNIFIL may hinder its ability to perform its mandate of maintaining “security and stability in the south along the border with Israel” due to the fighting in neighbouring Syria.

    The administration also revealed proposed cuts to missions in at least 10 other countries and regions.

    This includes a 55 percent cut to the UN Disengagement Observer Force in the Golan Heights. The administration proposes the force receive $11.1 million as opposed to the $24.6 million it received in 2017. 

    In the Western Sahara, the Trump administration wants to cut State Department budget for the UN mission from $18.4 million to $8.4 million. 

    Trump had previously called for cuts to UN peacekeeping, including in his budget proposal for last year. 

    Under pressure form the US, the UN General Assembly voted last year to cut $600 million from the body’s $8bn peacekeeping budget.

    At the time, US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said “we’re only getting started”. 

    According to the Better World Campaign, an organisation working to improve the US-UN partnership , the Trump administration “is proposing unwise and disproportionate cuts to US foreign affairs spending, which would undermine American leadership globally, including at the United Nations and its agencies”. 

    “The foreign affairs UN-related budget numbers are almost an exact replica of last year’s request, which was widely and wisely dismissed as harmful to US interests abroad,” the organisation said in a statement.

    “In fact, over the past year, we have seen military voices, business leaders and leaders in Congress all stress the importance of robust foreign affairs funding and continued support for the UN.” 

    The suggested cuts are part of a wider proposal that would slash the state department and US Agency for International Development budget by about 25 percent. 

    The plan is unlikely make it past Congress where cuts to diplomatic efforts and other aid programmes face strong opposition. 

    Trump’s budget plan also increases military spending, while calling for cuts to domestic social programmes. 

    Prior to revealing his administration’s plan, Trump said he wanted to look to spending more money at home. 

    “This will be a big week for infrastructure,” Trump said in a Tweet. “After so stupidly spending $7 trillion in the Middle East, it is now time to start investing in OUR Country!” he added, using a figure on US war expenditure in the region that is often disputed. 

    But the administration is requesting Congress approve $686bn Pentagon budget, one of the largest in US history. This includes a $800bn increase in military spending. 

    View the original article: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/02/trump-cut-funds-missions-middle-east-180214071652962.html

    According to the Pentagon, the increase is aimed at countering increasing threats from China and Russia. 

    Netanyahu: Air raids dealt serious blow to Iran, Syria

    In the same category are

    Reports: Bollywood icon Sridevi dies aged 54 Reports said Sridevi died in Dubai while attending a family wedding Sridevi, one of India's most celebrated actresses, has died according to multip...
    UN holds vote on Syria ceasefire as death toll climbs to 500 'More than 470 people' have been killed in the Damascus suburb since Sunday As the death toll in Syria's Eastern Ghouta surpasses 470, a UN Securit...
    China: New US sanctions threaten cooperation over North Korea Trump said the sanctions are the 'heaviest ever' against North Korea China has demanded the US reverse its decision to impose fresh sanctions on No...
    Has Boko Haram been defeated? Dozens of schoolgirls are still unaccounted for days after suspected Boko Haram fighters attacked their school in northeast Nigeria. As many as 111 gi...
    UN Security Council votes in favour of 30-day Syria ceasefire The UN Security Council has voted in favour of a resolution calling for a 30-day ceasefire in Syria. The unanimously approved resolution, drafted by S...
    ISIL claims deadly suicide car bombings in Yemen’s Aden Dozens of people have been killed or wounded in two suicide car bombings in the southern Yemeni port city of Aden, witnesses and local medics say. Sat...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *