Turkey’s Erdogan slams US over security guards charged in Washington brawl


View the original article: https://www.rt.com/usa/392498-turkey-slams-us-guard-charges/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Turkey’s President Erdogan has slammed the United States decision to arrest a dozen of his security guards and two others accused of taking part in a violent attack on protesters during his official visit to Washington, DC last month.

Speaking at dinner on Thursday to break the Ramadan fast in Ankara, Turkey, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan asked, “What kind of a law is this?”

Police in Washington, DC announced Thursday they had brought charges and issued warrants against a dozen Turkish security officials involved in the outbreak of violence.

Seven Turkish agents would be charged with felonies and five agents would face misdemeanor charges, according to the AP. The US ambassador to Ankara, John Bass, has been summoned for talks by the Foreign Ministry, as a result.

“This decision taken by US authorities is wrong, biased and lacks legal basis,” Turkey’s the ministry said in a statement. “The brawl in front of the Turkish ambassador’s residence was caused by the failure of local security authorities to take necessary measures… Turkish citizens cannot be held responsible for the incident that took place.”

Erdogan’s security detail returned with him to Turkey after his visit. Police displayed photos at the news conference of those sought, urging the public to help find some still unidentified.

Earlier Wednesday, two Turkish men living in the US had been arrested for their role in beating protesters outside the Turkish embassy on May 16. The incident, captured on video, provoked a diplomatic scandal.

The State Department spokesperson told reporters that international law allows heads of state customary protections/immunity for members of an entourage, which they lose upon leaving the US.

“If they [the security agents] were to come back to the United States, they would have [outstanding] warrants,” said spokesperson Heather Nauert, who read a statement issued earlier by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

“The charges filed against 12 Turkish security officials send a clear message that the US does not tolerate individuals who use intimidation and violence to stifle freedom of speech and legitimate political expression,” said Nauert. “The State Department will continue to work with law enforcement and relevant authorities in the case. When an outcome is reached, the department will determine if any additional steps need to be taken.”

Relations were severely strained even before the incident, which came as Erdogan arrived May 16 at the Turkish ambassador’s residence after a White House meeting with President Donald Trump. Police said video showed security guards and some Erdogan supporters attacking a small group of protesters. Nine people were hurt.

In the same category are

Nebraska regulators approve Keystone XL pipeline Nebraska regulators approved the Keystone XL pipeline route through the state, despite a oil leak last week that dumped 210,000 gallons of oil on arab...
Theresa May failed to raise Lauri Love ‘hacker’ extradition case with Donald Trump – campaigners Published time: 20 Nov, 2017 16:35Edited time: 20 Nov, 2017 16:37 Theresa May has been accused of failing to ask Donald Trump to halt the extradition ...
Hundreds of fans kneel outside stadium to support protesting NFL players Published time: 20 Nov, 2017 16:25 Hundreds of National Football League (NFL) fans gathered outside AT&T Stadium in Texas before the game between ...
Merkel says she would prefer new elections over minority govt Published time: 20 Nov, 2017 16:35Edited time: 20 Nov, 2017 16:47 German Chancellor Angela Merkel says she would prefer new elections over leading a m...
Missing Argentinian sub suffered electrical fault, made no satellite calls Published time: 20 Nov, 2017 16:49 The international search for the missing Argentinian submarine with 44 crew on board is continuing after a naval co...
ECB wants to end deposit protection & offer savers ‘appropriate amount’ of their own money Published time: 20 Nov, 2017 10:00 Covered deposits no longer need to be protected, according to the European Central Bank (ECB), which has proposed t...

Dont forget to “Like” us on Facebook


Need something to share, visit our sister site for the

‘News in the last 30 days”

in a clear concise package ….

 

If you are an artist or interested in art, visit our art website and read about todays artscene and browse some of our artist profiles

 

Comment on this story