What’s happening in Zimbabwe?

Latest news

    Soldiers stand beside military vehicles just outside Harare, Zimbabwe November 14 [Philimon Bulawayo/Reuters]

    There is growing uncertainty in Zimbabwe.

    Soldiers on Wednesday took over the headquarters of the state broadcaster ZBC and blocked access to government offices, but the army says this is not a military take over.

    President Robert Mugabe, who leads the ruling Zanu-PF party, is safe, an army spokesman has said.

    View the original article: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/11/happening-zimbabwe-171115054133319.html

    There was no official word, however, from the Mugabe family as to their whereabouts.

    What has happened so far:

    • Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, an ally of the army chief and a veteran of the country’s struggle for independence, was sacked on November 8 by 93-year-old Mugabe for showing “traits of disloyalty”.

    • Mnangagwa, who fled the country soon after, was seen as a likely successor to the ailing president, and his ousting now appears to pave the way for First Lady Grace Mugabe.

    • Army commander Constantino Chiwenga said on Monday, November 13, that the military would act if purges against former war liberation fighters did not cease.

      This file photo taken on November 13, 2017 shows Chiwenga [Jekesai Njikizans/AFP]
    • Zanu-PF on November 14 accused the army chief of “treasonable conduct” after he challenged Mugabe over the sacking of the vice president.

    • War veterans, who fought alongside Mugabe during the 1970s liberation struggle and spearheaded the repossession of white-owned commercial farms in the 2000s, claim Mugabe has betrayed the revolution.

    • The ongoing purges of scores of Mnangagwa allies have widened the rift between the Mugabes and various groups of war veteran leaders.

    • Victor Matemadanda, secretary-general of the Zimbabwe National War Veterans Association, recently told Al Jazeera the ongoing expulsions were a strong indication that Mugabe was acting in his own interests and those of his wife.

    • On Tuesday, November 14, the youth wing of ZANU-PF party, said it was “ready to die” for Mugabe, after the military threat to intervene.

    • There were unconfirmed reports of explosions and shooting in the capital, Harare, on Tuesday evening. 

    • On Wednesday, November 15, the Zimbabwe army seized state TV and blocked off access to government offices. 

    • In a televised address early on Wednesday morning, military spokesperson, Major General SB Moyo, said the army was seeking to “pacify a degenerating, social, and economic situation”, and denied a coup. “We are only targeting criminals around [Mugabe] and are committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country, in order to bring them to justice” he said.

    • The US and UK have advised their citizens in Harare, the capital, to stay indoors amid the uncertainty. “You should avoid political activity, or activities which could be considered political, including political discussions in public places and criticism of the president,” Britain warned.

    Wednesday, November 15: The latest

    • As yet, there is no official comment from the government or the Mugabe family as to the president’s whereabouts. 

    • Zimbabwean newspaper The Herald ran with the headline: “Zanu-PF unfazed by Chiwenga”, referring to the army general.
    • “Much like everyone else, [the Zimbabwe government is] waiting to hear what the situation is,” said Al Jazeera’s Tania Page, reporting from Johannesburg. “The South Africans haven’t said anything yet.”

    • Al Jazeera’s Haru Mutasa, reporting from Harare, said the atmosphere on the streets felt tense. “I don’t think people expected this kind of military takeover,” she said.

    • For many, the first priority was to head to the banks, reflecting fears many Zimbabweans have over the impact this burgeoning crisis may have on the economy. Martin Muradzikwa, a mobile phone shop owner in Harare, told Al Jazeera he feared clashes between soldiers and Mugabe loyalists would break out.

    • Trevor Ncube, a Zimbabwean businessman living in South Africa, said flights in and out of Zimbabwe were operating as usual. Ncube is verified on Twitter, and is a critical voice on Mugabe. “Air Zimbabwe took off for Bulawayo this morning and the SAA flight from Harare landed a while ago,” he tweeted. Al Jazeera is working to confirm this report.
    •  

    In the same category are

    Sanctions and threats will not trigger regime change in Iran Iranian women gather during a protest against US President Donald Trump's decision to walk out of the 2015 nuclear deal in Tehran on May 11, 2018 F...
    ‘Never again’: Zarif says US group is Iran coup bid bound to fail Washington and Tehran have had no diplomatic relations since the shah's fall in 1979. Mohammed Javad Zarif, Iran's foreign minister, has said any U...
    Afghanistan’s Ghani declares Eid ceasefire with Taliban Afghan President Ashraf Ghani (R) lays a wreath on Independence Day marking 99th anniversary of independence from Britain, in Kabul on August 18, 201...
    Indonesia: Lombok Island rocked by two major tremors within hours Indonesia straddles the Pacific 'Ring of Fire' and is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions A second earthquake has jolted the Indonesian isl...
    Audit warns 840 bridges may be at risk of collapse in France The government released a summary of the audit last month About 840 bridges across France are suffering from serious damage and are at risk of coll...
    War and literature in Mogadishu The book fair and the cluster of efforts by young Somali people to reclaim the story of their country are an unexpected and welcome knot of green in ...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.