Yemen conflict: Saudi coalition declares 48-hour ceasefire
19 November 2016
- From the section Middle East
The Saudi-led military coalition supporting Yemen’s government against the Houthi rebels has declared a 48-hour ceasefire to begin on Saturday.
Visit our new websites featuring all the news and latest technology that is about to change the world we live in forever
The ceasefire will begin at midday (0900 GMT), the Saudi government announced via state media.
The coalition said the truce could be renewed if the Houthis observed it and allowed aid to be delivered to rebel-held areas in the southwest.
More than 10,000 people have died in 20 months of civil war in the country.
All the links in Encyclopedic.co.uk stories are in RED with a Square and arrow, follow the links if you need to get more information, All our stories have all the links back to the original source, we also have other versions of the story on our website, Search our site using the link to the top left, check them all so you can decide what is the truth or copy and paste some words into google and get even more sources.
Any external stories, features, news feeds, articles or external website content, linked to from within this website (through direct links or RSS feed boxes, etc.) are the absolute, and strict, copyright of the writers, owners or publishers concerned.
There has been no word yet from the Houthis and several previous ceasefires have broken down.
US Secretary of State John Kerry said earlier this week that the coalition and Houthis had agreed on a ceasefire to begin on Thursday.
But the internationally recognised Yemeni government, led by exiled president Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi, rejected the move, complaining that it had been being bypassed.
Conflict in Yemen
- Inside the fight to save Yemen’s health system
- The man who lost 27 family members in an air strike
- Yemen crisis: Who is fighting whom
The truce announced by Mr Kerry held in some parts of the country but not others. More than 20 civilians were killed on Friday in the shelling of a busy market in the war-torn city of Taiz.
International medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said one of its staff was also killed, calling it “another heartbreaking example of a hard-working citizen affected by this ongoing conflict”.
Taiz has been one of the worst-affected cities in Yemen’s conflict, witnessing some of the heaviest and most sustained fighting in the country.
The UN estimates that more than three million people have been displaced from the conflict and 21 million are in need of some form of humanitarian assistance.
Two million people are malnourished nationwide, including 370,000 children who are severely malnourished.
The conflict has also ravaged Yemen’s health system. More than half of the health facilities the country are closed or partially functioning, a survey by the World Health Organisation found earlier this month.
Fancy a holiday in rural France ?
Find your ideal holiday accommodation in France, with peace of mind that all our properties are officially registered
Our aim is to provide potential holiday makers with a choice of properties, all of which are officially recognised by the French authorities as holiday lettings. Every gite and holiday accommodation on our website is registered in France in one of two ways. It is either registered with the local Mayor as a tourism/short stay property or is is registered as a holiday letting business in France and so has a SIRET number. We will not advertise any properties unless we have seen evidence of this. If you want anymore information about this, please do contact us.
Dont forget to “Like” us on Facebook