Wed. Feb 20th, 2019

Child abuser Rolf Harris investigated over entering school grounds

pCloud Premium

Police and probation officials are investigating reports that convicted child abuser Rolf Harris had entered the grounds of a primary school near his home and waved at pupils.

The former TV star was convicted of 12 indecent assaults in June 2014, including one involving an eight-year-old who wanted an autograph, two on girls in their early teens, and a catalogue of abuse against his daughter’s friend over 16 years. One of the assault convictions was later overturned on appeal.

He was released on licence in May 2017.

According to the Daily Mirror, Harris went on to the premises of Oldfield Primary School near his home in Maidenhead on Tuesday afternoon to talk to a sculptor working in the grounds.

Police officers outside Oldfield Primary School in Bray, Maidenhead
Image: Police officers outside Oldfield Primary School in Bray, Maidenhead

Head teacher Richard Jarrett told the paper: “He must have seen him (the sculptor) and come into the school area. He had no access to the children whatsoever.

“I went over and shook his hand and introduced myself. He explained what he was doing – that he was getting some wood from the sculptor. I said, ‘You need to go’.”

In a statement to Sky News, he said: “In line with our standard procedures, an uninvited individual was asked to leave the outer perimeter of the school site yesterday, which he did without delay.

More from UK

“At no time did any of our pupils come into contact with the individual nor was the individual invited by us onto the school grounds.

“As a precaution, this incident has been reported to the Thames Valley Police.”

Rolf Harris leaves Southwark Crown Court in London
Image: Rolf Harris was released on licence in May 2017

Police confirmed that officers had been called to the school at 3.15pm on Tuesday.

In a statement it said: “A report was made that a man was on the site of the school. An officer attended the scene but no offence was committed. No arrests were made.”

The Ministry of Justice said it was looking at whether there had been any breach of Harris’ release conditions.

A spokeswoman said: “When sex offenders are released they are subject to strict licence conditions and are liable to be returned to custody for breaching them.

“We are looking into these reports and will take appropriate action.”

Child abuser Rolf Harris investigated over entering school grounds

Police and probation officials are investigating reports that convicted child abuser Rolf Harris had entered the grounds of a primary school near his home and waved at pupils. The former TV star was convicted of 12 indecent assaults in June 2014, including one on an eight-year-old autograph hunter, two on girls in their early teens, and a catalogue of abuse against his daughter’s friend over 16 years.

pCloud Premium

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.