Arabic AR Chinese (Simplified) ZH-CN English EN French FR German DE Japanese JA Portuguese PT Russian RU Spanish ES Ukrainian UK

Angola says ex-president’s son planned to steal $1.5bn

Latest news

    Jose Eduardo dos Santos appointed his son to head Angola’s $5bn oil-fuelled sovereign fund in 2013 [FILE: Herculano Coroado/Reuters]

    The son of Angola’s former president, Jose Eduardo dos Santos, planned to siphon off $1.5bn when he ran the oil-rich country’s sovereign wealth fund, the finance ministry said.

    Jose Filomeno dos Santos (nicknamed “Zenu”) is accused of “fraud, misappropriation of funds, money laundering and associating with criminals.”

    The $1.5bn figure is three times the sum he was initially accused of illegally transferring to a British bank.

    The finance ministry said that Filomeno dos Santos disguised the transfer as a project aimed at attracting investment in Angola with the help of a fake guarantee from Credit Suisse.

    The Swiss bank told AFP news agency that “documents had been forged” and that it had not received “any money relating to this case.”

    The finance ministry said $500 million had been transferred to a London bank and that Angola was supposed to make two more such payments.

    The first transfer was blocked by UK authorities who suspected foul play.

    Filomeno dos Santos was appointed to head the $5bn oil-fuelled sovereign fund by his father in 2013 but was sacked by President Joao Lourenco, who took power in January this year.

    Former central bank governor Valter Filipe da Silva, who has been charged alongside Filomeno dos Santos, has promised to “cooperate” with the authorities.

    Filomeno’s half-sister, Isabel dos Santos, was also sacked from her job as head of state oil giant Sonangol. Thought to be Africa’s richest woman, she has denied all allegations against her.

    Jose Eduardo dos Santos ruled Angola for 38 years with an iron grip. During his regime, he was accused of running the country’s economy to enrich himself and those around him.

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/angola-president-son-planned-steal-15bn-180410071318016.html

    SOURCE: Al Jazeera and news agencies

    In the same category are

    Fleeing Kachin face food, medicine shortage amid Myanmar clashes The Kachin Independence Army has been fighting on and off for decades against the government for greater autonomy Almost 2,000 civilians from Myanm...
    Ecuador to stop hosting Colombia-ELN talks A new venue is being sought after Ecuador said it will end its support for ongoing talks between Colombia and a Colombian rebel group. Ecuador release...
    9/11 attacks’ suspect arrested by Kurds in Syria Zammar was previously questioned by German police following the September 11 attacks A Kurdish military commander based in Syria's north has announ...
    Iraq launches ‘deadly’ strikes against ISIL inside Syria Abadi had warned Iraq would take action against ISIL if the group posed a threat Iraq says it has carried out "deadly air strikes" against fighters...
    Miguel Diaz-Canel: Cuba’s post-Castro president Cuba's First Vice President Miguel Diaz-Canel in Quito, Ecuador May 24, 2017 Cuba has formally announced their new president as Miguel Diaz-Canel. ...
    Miguel Diaz-Canel elected as Cuba’s president, ending Castro era Miguel Diaz-Canel was the sole candidate for the presidency The Cuban National Assembly has formally elected Miguel Diaz-Canel as the country's new...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *