Cameroon vote count begins, President Paul Biya likely to return

Latest news

    Nearly 6.6 million people across Cameroon were registered to vote in the election [Reuters]

    Polls closed in Cameroon on Sunday evening and the counting of votes has begun in an election that will likely see the return of President Paul Biya for a seventh term.

    Voting ended at 1700GMT amid fighting and threats from separatists that prevented residents in English-speaking regions from casting their ballots. Results are expected in two weeks.

    Biya, Africa’s oldest leader who has been in office since 1982, claimed the voting was “peaceful” across the country with more than 20 million people.

    “I am satisfied after performing my civic duty and particularly satisfied that the election is taking place in calm and serenity and without fighting,” Biya said after voting.

    {articleGUID}

    “I hope that the calm will continue after results are proclaimed,” he said.

    Cameroon’s fractured opposition was unable to rally behind a strong challenger to the 85-year-old leader.

    Main opposition Social Democratic Front party candidate Joshua Osih voted in the country’s economic capital, Douala, and called for transparency in vote count.

    “My wish is that the results of the ballot should not be tampered with. That transparency should be the watchword and that the choice made by the Cameroonian people be respected,” he said.

    Violent election

    Even as the candidates spoke, violence had already marked the voting.

    The military killed two armed men in the English-speaking northwest town of Bamenda, according to Governor Deben Tchoffo of the Northwest region.

    “We shall not allow terrorists to disrupt the election,” he said. “I salute the maturity of people who are braving the threats and carrying out their civic duties. We are informed that armed men are shooting indiscriminately to frighten voters, we shall not allow such a thing to happen.”

    Gun fighting between the military and separatists began on Saturday in at least six towns and villages including Nkambe, Mamfe and Kumbo.

    Several buildings were burnt, including residences where voting material was thought to have been stored.

    {articleGUID}

    Several armed men were also killed by military in the southwest region, Governor Bernard Okalia Bilai confirmed.

    “The wave of attacks will not deter us from doing our job,” said Enow Abrams Egbe, chairman of the election commission.

    The Election Commission and government said they made provisions for displaced voters, but it was not clear if people came out amid threats by separatists.

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/cameroon-vote-count-begins-president-paul-biya-return-181008054246081.html

    Cameroon is also battling Boko Haram fighters in its far north, where more than more than 230,000 people have been displaced.

    In the same category are

    Turkish prosecutors ‘find evidence of Jamal Khashoggi killing’ Turkish investigators entered Saudi consulate as part of a joint inspection of building on Monday Turkish authorities say prosecutors have found ev...
    US midterms ads accuse Democrats of ‘terror’ ties A recent Duncan Hunter campaign ad has attacked his Democratic challenger's Palestinian background Correction 15/10/2018: This article has been corr...
    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies at the age of 65 Allen was the Seattle Seahawks team owner, a philanthropist, investor, innovator and Microsoft co-founder Billionaire Paul Allen, who founded US so...
    Tunisia ‘needs a cultural revolution’ to combat racism Tunisia's black minority has long complained of racial discrimination Tunis, Tunisia - When Ghofrane Binous was a child, she was told she was dirty...
    Russian Orthodox Church splits from Constantinople over Ukraine Head of the Russian Orthodox Church chaired a meeting of the Holy Synod in Minsk In the largest schism in Orthodox Christianity for over a century,...
    Khashoggi: Why did it take so long for Saudi to open its doors? Turkish police investigators have entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, nearly two weeks after the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.