Confusion over missing Nigerian girls, parents demand answers

Latest news

    Families of abducted Nigerian schoolgirls have expressed grief and disappointment after the authorities retracted a statement that some of the missing girls had been rescued by the military.

    Police said on Wednesday that 111 girls from the government Girls Science and Technical College, a state-run boarding school in Dapchi, in Yobe state, were unaccounted for after an attack by the suspected Boko Haram group on Monday night.

    The Yobe state government issued a statement on Thursday that the girls were rescued but retracted it within 24 hours saying the information was “not credible”.

    Zainab, a 14-year-old schoolgirl, was one of the students abducted along with others, her mother could not bear the news that her daughter was not coming home yet.

    “The mother is in hospital. She fainted on hearing that her daughter wasn’t found. The grief is too much for her,” Sule Ali, Zainab’s father, told Al Jazeera.

    Witnesses told Al Jazeera that some of the attackers were dressed in military uniforms as they passed through the school gates. Many of the students who were alerted by gunshots earlier, scaled the school’s perimeter fence and escaped. Some of them said they saw dozens of their school mates being led into a waiting truck.

    “We heard gunshots. There was chaos everywhere,” Hadiza Makinta, an escapee, told Al Jazeera.

    “Four of us sisters started running together. She fell and and I fell down too. But someone picked me up. That was the last time I saw her. She was taken,” Makinta said referring to her eldest sister.

    Residents hope the tragedy won’t be as long-drawn as the 2014 Chibok incident where more than 270 girls were kidnapped from their school. More than a third of them are yet to be found.

    More than 20,000 people have been killed and two million others forced to flee their homes in northeastern Nigeria since Boko Haram launched a campaign in 2009 aimed at forming a breakaway state.

    Over the years, the armed group has kidnapped thousands of adults and children.

    View the original article: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/02/confusion-missing-nigerian-girls-parents-demand-answers-180223080709359.html

    Ali still hopes to hear a good and definitive news about the return of Zainab.

    In the same category are

    UK’s Theresa May comes out against US child separation policy May has been under pressure from opposition MPs to condemn the policy British Prime Minister Theresa May has spoken out against the US policy of se...
    Hungary criminalises aiding migrants with ‘Stop Soros’ bill To stop refugees from entering the country, Hungary has built a fence on the Hungary-Serbia border Budapest, Hungary - The Hungarian parliament on ...
    Ronaldo’s goal helps Portugal knock Morocco out of World Cup 2018 Ronaldo has now scored four goals in two World Cup 2018 games Follow Al Jazeera's coverage of the World Cup 2018 here. Cristiano Ronaldo powered-ho...
    Israeli jets carry out strikes in Gaza The Israeli military said 45 rockets and mortar shells were fired at Israeli territory from across the Gaza border Israeli jets have attacked 25 ta...
    Philippine ex-president Benigno Aquino indicted for budget misuse Aquino had insisted the release of the funds were well-documented and was allowed by law Former Philippine President Benigno Aquino has been indict...
    Divers join search for 192 missing in Indonesia mishap Four were confirmed dead and 18 survivors were picked up from Toba Lake as of Wednesday Divers and an underwater drone have joined a fleet of rescu...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.