Fox renewed Bill O’Reilly deal despite harassment suit

Latest news

    News Channel host Bill O"Reilly poses on the set of his show "The O"Reilly Factor" in New York March 17, 2015.Image copyright Reuters
    Image caption O’Reilly is known to have settled at least six sexual harassment suits

    Former Fox News commentator Bill O’Reilly was handed a new contract with the network, despite the parent company knowing he had recently settled a sexual harassment case.

    The $32m (£24m) settlement was paid to former Fox legal analyst Lis Wiehl, according to the New York Times.

    In a statement, 21st Century Fox admitted it knew of the settlement when it signed a new contract but not the financial terms.

    O’Reilly has denied any wrongdoing.

    He was forced to resign in April after a raft of sexual harassment allegations.

    The settlement with Wiehl – which was “extraordinarily large” for such cases, according to the Times – is one of six involving O’Reilly that are in the public domain, totalling $45m.

    Several of those suits also involved former Fox News chairman Roger Ailes, who stepped down in 2016 amid accusations of harassment.

    ‘Leaked information’

    Wiehl had worked for Fox for 15 years at the time of the settlement with O’Reilly and appeared regularly on his show The O’Reilly Factor. She left at the time of the settlement.

    “When the company renewed Bill O’Reilly’s contract in February, it knew that a sexual harassment lawsuit had been threatened against him by Lis Wiehl, but was informed by Mr O’Reilly that he had settled the matter personally, on financial terms that he and Ms Wiehl had agreed were confidential and not disclosed to the company,” 21st Century Fox said in a statement.

    The company signed a $25 million-per-year deal with the commentator, but added corporate protections against future allegations of harassment against him.

    O’Reilly denied the allegations to the New York Times. “I have never mistreated anyone,” he said, adding that he had resolved matters with Wiehl privately because he wanted to spare his children from controversy.

    The commentator was forced to resign in April after a string of smaller settlements was reported by the Times and advertisers pulled out of his programme.

    In a statement to Reuters, Mark Fabiani, a spokesman for O’Reilly, criticised the Times for printing “leaked information… that is out of context, false, defamatory, and obviously designed to embarrass Bill O’Reilly and to keep him from competing in the marketplace”.

    He also denounced newspaper for not printing what he said was an affidavit signed by Wiehl withdrawing her allegations following the settlement.

    The disclosure of the Wiehl settlement follows a string of sexual assault allegations against Hollywood film mogul Harvey Weinstein, including accusations of rape, that sparked a international conversation about harassment in the film industry and beyond.

    View the original article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41712527

    Weinstein, 65, who was sacked by production company Miramax and suspended by the board of the Oscars, has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone.

    In the same category are

    Fernando Alonso: McLaren’s Spanish driver announces retirement from Formula 1 Spanish two-time world champion Fernando Alonso has announced he is to retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season.The McLaren driver will end a c...
    Babies in prams ‘exposed to more pollution’ Image copyright Getty Images Babies and young children in prams can be exposed to up to 60% more pollution than adults, a study suggests.Experts sai...
    Fortnite used by company for job interviews Image copyright Dare.Win A French marketing agency is inviting applicants for an internship to discuss the opportunity over a game of Fortnite. Cand...
    Asian Games – Is this eclectic mix of 40 events the Olympics+? Spurs' Son Heung-min (centre) and his South Korean team-mates share the Asian Games stage with less familiar sporting figuresOver the the next four d...
    Ben Stokes: England all-rounder added to Test squad after not-guilty verdict Stokes did play in England's first Test with India at EdgbastonBen Stokes will be added to England's squad for the third Test against India after bei...
    Jeremy Corbyn will not apologise over Tunisia wreath row Image copyright Palestinian embassy in Tunis/Facebook Image caption Jeremy Corbyn was pictured at a wreath-laying ceremony in 2014 Jeremy Corbyn h...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.