Gennady Golovkin v Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez: Rematch to take place on 15 September

Latest news

    The first fight between Golovkin, left, and Alvarez ended in a draw

    Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez will fight WBA and WBC world middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin in a rematch on 15 September, says the Mexican’s promoter.

    The first bout in September 2017 ended in a controversial draw.

    Canelo withdrew from May’s rematch after failing two drugs tests and was banned for six months, but is free to fight from 17 August.

    “I’m happy to inform that we have a fight September 15,” Oscar de La Hoya has tweeted.

    Alvarez, 27, said eating contaminated meat was the reason he tested positive for clenbuterol on 17 and 20 February.

    He has won 49 and drawn two of his 52 fights. His only defeat came against Floyd Mayweather in 2013.

    Kazakh fighter Golovkin, 36, made a record-equalling 20th consecutive world middleweight title defence in May, after he knocked out American Vanes Martirosyan, Canelo’s replacement.

    He is the sport’s longest-reigning current world title-holder and unbeaten in 39 fights, including 34 by knockout.

    But Golovkin was stripped of his IBF title earlier this month, for failing to agree to face a mandatory challenger.

    View the original article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/44476998

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/44476998

    In the same category are

    Ben Stokes: England all-rounder has ‘suffered enough punishment’, says Michael Vaughan Stokes is set to face an internal disciplinary process led by the Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC)Former England captain Michael Vaughan says Ben ...
    Westminster crash: Raids after suspected terror attack Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionThe car can be seen crashing into a barrierPolice are searching three addresses in the Mid...
    Rail fares: Grayling urges inflation change to slow rises Image copyright Getty Images The rail industry should change how it calculates fare rises and staff wages to cut costs for passengers, Transport Sec...
    Cricket ball hit for six narrowly misses BBC reporter BBC reporter Stuart Flinders had a "narrow escape" when a cricket ball missed his head by inches while he was recording at a game.The North West Tonig...
    Cricket ball hit for six narrowly misses BBC reporter BBC reporter Stuart Flinders had a "narrow escape" when a cricket ball missed his head by inches while he was recording at a game.The North West Tonig...
    Hatton Garden raider Daniel Jones given more jail time Image copyright Met Police Image caption Daniel Jones was a member of the gang that stole some £14m of goods from the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit O...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.