Golovkin v Alvarez rematch set for 15 September

Latest news

    The first fight between Golovkin, left, and Alvarez ended in a draw

    Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez will fight WBA and WBC world middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin in a rematch on 15 September, says the Mexican’s promoter.

    The first bout in September 2017 ended in a controversial draw.

    Canelo withdrew from May’s rematch after failing two drugs tests and was banned for six months, but is free to fight from 17 August.

    “I’m happy to inform that we have a fight September 15,” Oscar de La Hoya has tweeted.

    Alvarez, 27, said eating contaminated meat was the reason he tested positive for clenbuterol on 17 and 20 February.

    He has won 49 and drawn two of his 52 fights. His only defeat came against Floyd Mayweather in 2013.

    Kazakh fighter Golovkin, 36, made a record-equalling 20th consecutive world middleweight title defence in May, after he knocked out American Vanes Martirosyan, Canelo’s replacement.

    He is the sport’s longest-reigning current world title-holder and unbeaten in 39 fights, including 34 by knockout.

    View the original article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/44476998

    But Golovkin was stripped of his IBF title earlier this month, for failing to agree to face a mandatory challenger.

    In the same category are

    ‘I’m faster, I hit harder, I’m a better boxer & a better fighter’ Frampton on opponent Jackson Frampton took the WBO interim featherweight belt with a points win over former four-weight world champion Nonito Donaire in AprilCarl Frampton says h...
    Quin wins breaststroke gold as GB claim six Para-swimming medals Quin also won gold at the 2016 European Championships in MadeiraWorld Para-swimming European ChampionshipsVenue: Dublin Dates: 13-20 AugustCoverage: ...
    Murray out of Cincinnati Masters in first round Murray won the Cincinnati tournament in 2008 and 2011Britain's Andy Murray suffered a first-round defeat to Lucas Pouille at the Cincinnati Masters.M...
    Liverpool refer Salah to police over driving incident Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionVideo apparently shows Mo Salah using a phone while drivingLiverpool striker Mohamed Salah...
    ‘Half of Premier League clubs could play in empty stadiums and still make money’ Just two of the Premier League's 20 top-flight clubs recorded a loss in 2017, compared to 18 of the 24 clubs to play in the ChampionshipHalf of Premi...
    Media racism behind Sterling criticism – Wright Raheem Sterling scored the opening goal as Manchester City won 2-0 at Arsenal on SundayCriticism of Manchester City and England winger Raheem Sterlin...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.