Arabic AR Chinese (Simplified) ZH-CN English EN French FR German DE Japanese JA Portuguese PT Russian RU Spanish ES Ukrainian UK

Japan floods: Rescue workers find more bodies

Latest news

    Rescue workers have found four more bodies in southern Japan, bringing the death toll from heavy rain to six with about 20 more missing, officials said.

    Troops and rescuers gained access to some of the villages that were cut off by torrential rain and rescued more than a dozen stranded residents on Friday.

    Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said 12,000 troops and rescuers were focusing on remote villages where hundreds are still stranded.

    The operation has been slowed by mud and floodwaters and more flooding was forecast for the country’s east.

    “Heavy rain is forecast to continue intermittently,” Suga said, while calling for continued vigilance.

    “I would like people in the disaster zone to pay full attention to evacuation information,” Suga added.

    Typhoon Nanmadol swept across Japan earlier this week, dumping rain that has wrecked homes, roads and rice terraces [Reuters]

    The four bodies were retrieved in Asakura town in Fukuoka prefecture, one of the hardest hit areas. One man was found Thursday after he was covered by a mudslide and the three others, including a couple, were swept away by floodwater.

    Heavy rain warnings are still in place for parts of the southern island of Kyushu after Typhoon Nanmadol swept across Japan earlier this week, dumping rain that has wrecked homes, roads and rice terraces.

    Television footage showed rice fields and homes flooded after a river overflowed its banks. Roads and bridges were damaged and dozens of vehicles and houses destroyed and half covered with mud.

    Residents from remote villages were being airlifted by military helicopters while soldiers waded through floodwaters carrying elderly residents on their backs.

    Japan’s Meteorological Agency said Fukuoka and Oita prefectures experienced unprecedented rainfall.

    Amid search and rescue, Japan’s royal family decided to postpone Saturday’s formal announcement of Princess Mako’s engagement with her college classmate out of consideration for the suffering of people in the affected areas, Japanese media reported.

    View the original article:

    Source: News agencies

    In the same category are

    Lebanese actor Ziyad Itani: ‘I was never a spy’ Itani was accused of being an Israeli spy informing on intellectuals and government officials Last November, Ziyad Itani went from being a prominen...
    France’s Sarkozy charged in Gaddafi funding case Nicolas Sarkozy, the former French president, has been formally charged with corruption and illegal campaign financing over allegations that Muammar ...
    Hamas: Rami Hamdallah convoy attack suspects killed in Gaza The main suspect and an accomplice reportedly resisted arrest and exchanged fire with authorities Two suspects in the bomb attack on the Palestinia...
    Saudi crown prince boasted Jared Kushner was ‘in his pocket’ Kushner had his security clearance for accessing classified information downgraded Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman boasted US Presi...
    The gargantuan task of cleaning Indonesia’s Citarum river West Java, Indonesia - Indonesian President Joko Widodo earlier this year started an ambitious programme of cleaning up an almost 300km stretch of Cit...
    Hamas security forces killed in operation to arrest PM attacker Two Hamas security forces have been killed during an operation to arrest the main suspect in the bombing attack of Palestinian Prime Minister Rami Ham...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *