Breaking

Over 3,000 fans denied World Cup entry to Russia for security reasons

Latest news

    More than 3,000 foreign football fans previously linked to violence were denied entry to Russia during the World Cup as part of security measures aimed at preventing clashes at the tournament.

    READ MORE: Putin suggests rolling out visa-free World Cup FAN ID concept to other events

    Those deemed potential troublemakers by Russian security officials were not allowed to attend the global football event, which ran from June 14 to July 15 in 11 host cities.

    Read more

    Football fans splash out almost $1.6bn in Moscow during World Cup

    Thanks to cooperation with our international colleagues with whom we exchanged information, more than 3,000 foreign citizens who had previously been involved in stadium disorder were prohibited from entering Russia,” Russian Interior Minister Vladimir Kolokoltsev said at a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, TASS reported. “The fact that they were not allowed to come helped to stage a safe and secure tournament,” he added.

    The minister also noted that more than 100,000 law enforcement officers had provided security at the World Cup, which passed off without any serious incident.

    View the original article: https://www.rt.com/sport/433618-football-fans-denied-entry-world-cup/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

    More than a million fans from around the globe attended the World Cup in Russia, which concluded on Sunday at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow when France beat Croatia 4-2 to claim their second title and first since 1998.

    In the same category are

    Kerch mourns victims of college massacre as survivors recall horrors of blast & shooting (VIDEO) People in the city of Kerch, shaken by the ruthless school shooting, have come in their thousands in final respect to the victims. Survivors and frien...
    Saudi Arabia claims Khashoggi died in accidental ‘fistfight’ inside the consulate Journalist Jamal Khashoggi died in a “fight” with individuals inside the Saudi consulate in Turkey, Saudi authorities said after nearly two weeks of s...
    Saudi prince MBS put in charge of intel purge following Khashoggi death Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been appointed to head a ministerial committee tasked with restructuring the General Intelligence Agency, a...
    Migrant caravan using women & children as human shields to break into Mexico – Pompeo US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had some choice words about the thousands-strong crowd of Central American migrants surging toward Mexico, urging th...
    Playing online games & ‘torturing cats’: Who was the Crimea college shooter? The worst school shooting in Russia's history has sparked a series of inaccurate and contradictory media reports. Here are the main questions that sti...
    Not buying it: Lawmakers & journalists skeptical of Saudi story about Khashoggi death Multiple US lawmakers, journalists and pundits voiced their disbelief in the official Saudi account of journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s death, calling it ...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.