Arabic AR Chinese (Simplified) ZH-CN English EN French FR German DE Japanese JA Portuguese PT Russian RU Spanish ES Ukrainian UK

Saudi Arabia to meet with allies after Qatar rejects ultimatum as ‘unrealistic’

Latest news

    View the original article:

    The four Arab nations who initiated the diplomatic and economic blockade of Qatar will meet in Egypt to discuss further action after Doha rejected a list of 13 demands and the extended deadline passed.

    Accusing Qatar of sponsoring terrorism, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and Egypt issued a list of ultimatums to Qatar on June 22, after cutting ties with the country on June 5 for its alleged support of terrorism.

    Read more

    Arab states’ demands are ‘impossible to meet’, says Qatar as new deadline looms

    Following Qatar’s rejection of the demands, which include shutting down its news channel, Al Jazeera, ending support for the Muslim Brotherhood, downgrading ties with Iran, and closing a military base housing Turkish troops, the four Arab nations extended the previous 10-day deadline by another 48 hours.

    Before the extended deadline expired, Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani once again rejected the ultimatum, calling some of the demands “unrealistic and… not actionable.”

    “It’s not about terrorism, it’s talking about shutting down the freedom of speech,” he said.

    The official rejection was delivered to the four states by the Kuwait emissary on Wednesday morning, just before the deadline expired. The contents of Qatar’s official response have not been disclosed.

    “The four countries received the Qatari response through the state of Kuwait before the end of the extended period. And it will be responded to at the right time,” the Saudi Foreign Ministry tweeted.

    The four nations will meet in Cairo on Wednesday to discuss the ongoing crisis, which has entered its second month. The agenda of the meeting has not been shared with the public.

    On Tuesday, the UAE foreign minister said that any further action against Qatar will be implemented “within the framework of international law.”

    “Any independent state has the right to take measures against any party,” Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan said, according to AFP.

    The crisis was triggered in early June following a report on the state-run Qatar News Agency (QNA) website and social media accounts, in which the country’s Emir, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, criticized Saudi Arabia’s anti-Iranian rhetoric, among other controversial statements.

    QNA immediately retracted what it termed “fake news,” and following an investigation, said the channel had been hacked by “neighboring” states which then used the QNA report as a pretext to impose the economic blockade.

    In the same category are

    Shock horror! Trump congratulates Putin on election victory and media goes nuts All hell broke loose in Washington DC on Tuesday when President Donald Trump confirmed that he had congratulated Russian president Vladimir Putin on h...
    Assange agrees to share ‘evidence’ in Cambridge Analytica probe by British MPs WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange may soon give evidence to a Parliamentary Committee about Cambridge Analytica, a voter-profiling company which acc...
    ‘Bitcoin is #1 priority’: NSA targeted cryptocurrency users globally, Snowden leaks show The US National Security Agency targeted Bitcoin users around the world, according to classified documents released by Edward Snowden. The revelations...
    Cambridge spies v. sore loser Democrats? Fallout of Facebook data scandal dissected (DEBATE) London-based political strategy firm Cambridge Analytica has suspended CEO Alexander Nix who had boasted of global backroom influence. RT has hosted a...
    FBI & Austin police respond to another reported bomb blast – at least 1 person injured Published time: 21 Mar, 2018 00:31Edited time: 21 Mar, 2018 00:40 At least one person has reportedly been injured after another suspicious package exp...
    Man dies after his head gets stuck in ‘luxury’ cinema seat in Birmingham A man has died after his head got horrifically trapped in an electric chair at the Vue cinema in Birmingham. It is understood the man’s head was crush...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *