Saudi-led group: Qatar not serious about demands

Latest news

    Four Arab nations that impose a blockade on Qatar for its alleged support for terrorism have issued a statement saying that Doha’s response to their demands to end the crisis was “not serious.”

    Wednesday’s statement came after foreign ministers from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain — the Arab states involved in the dispute with Qatar — met in Egypt’s capital after receiving Doha’s response to their list of demands.

    Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told reporters at a joint news conference in Cairo that Qatar’s response was “generally negative” and failed to “lay the foundation for Qatar’s reversal of the policies it pursues.”

    READ MORE: Can Qatar-Gulf rift be repaired?

    He also described Doha’s response as a “position that reflects a failure to realise the gravity of the situation.”

    “We hope wisdom will prevail and Qatar will eventually make the right decisions,” Shoukry added.

    On his turn, the Saudi foreign minister told reporters that further steps against Qatar would be taken at the appropriate time and will be in line with international law

    Adel al Jubeir said that political and economic boycott will remain until Qatar changes its policies for the better.

    “The embargo will remain in place until Qatar rectifies its policies,” he said. “In respect to future measures, we are in constant communication. We are state of sovereignties, and we have the right to take any measures in line with international law.”    

    A Saudi-led group cut diplomatic ties and imposed a blockade on Qatar since June 5 [AFP]

    The Emirati Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan was more belligerent in his criticism of Qatar, saying it is only interested in “destruction, incitement, extremism and terrorism,” – accusations that Doha have strongly denied.

    Al Jazeera’s Marwan Bishara, reporting from London, said the foreign ministers issued “more of the same unsubtantiated accusations against Qatar”. 

    Qatar seeks political solution to GCC crisis

    “It was long on slogan and very short on details, or anything of substance,” Bishara said.  

    Earlier on Wednesday, the Saudi foreign ministry said they had received Qatar’s response to their demands — which include Doha ending support for the Muslim Brotherhood and closing broadcaster Al-Jazeera — and would respond “at the right time”.

    The countries issued the 13-point list of demands on June 22, giving Qatar 10 days to respond.

    That period has been extended to Wednesday, at the request of Kuwait, which is mediating in the crisis.

    The contents of Qatar’s response submitted on Monday have not been disclosed, but earlier Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said the list of demands “is unrealistic and is not actionable”.

    On Wednesday, Sheikh Mohammed called for a dialogue to resolve the impasse.  

    Qatar has denied any support for extremism and accused the countries of seeking to infringe on its sovereignty.

    The other demands include Qatar downgrading ties with Iran — Saudi Arabia’s regional arch-rival — and shutting down a Turkish military base in the emirate.

    View the original article: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/07/saudi-led-group-qatar-demands-170705144209453.html

    Source: Al Jazeera and news agencies

    In the same category are

    Turkey’s June 24 elections are about stability Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan greets the crowd during the Turkey's ruling AKP rally in Mardin on June 20, 2018 Turkey will hold presidenti...
    Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu’s wife Sara charged with fraud Sara Netanyahu has long faced allegations of abusive behaviour and living extravagantly Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's wife, Sara, has...
    Can a Muslim perform at the Bataclan in Paris? Muslim French rapper Medine's upcoming concerts at the Bataclan Concert Hall in Paris caused a lot of controversy in France It has become a recurre...
    Turkey’s June 24 elections are about checks and balances Muharrem Ince, the presidential candidate of Turkey's main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), speaks during a party gathering in Ankara on M...
    China: Secrets of a Long Life Several million tourists flock to China's Bama region every year, but it's not the spectacular scenery they come to see, it's the large number of resi...
    Turkey to receive F-35 jets despite opposition from Senate Ankara is planning to buy about 100 F-35 jets, eventually looking to replace its current F-4 and F-16 fleet Turkey will receive its first two F-35 ...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.