Arabic AR Chinese (Simplified) ZH-CN English EN French FR German DE Japanese JA Portuguese PT Russian RU Spanish ES Ukrainian UK


Saudi official denies Bin Nayef is confined to palace

Latest news

    A Saudi official has denied a report by the New York Times that former Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef has been confined to his palace and barred from travelling abroad.

    Mohammed bin Nayef has not been seen in public since June 21, when Saudi state media broadcast a video showing him pledging allegiance to his cousin Mohammed bin Salman, who replaced Nayef as crown prince.

    WATCH: Mohammed bin Salman named Saudi Arabia’s crown prince (1:36)

    An unnamed official told the Reuters news agency on Thursday that the New York Times’ report was “not true, 100 percent”.

    The Times had reported on Wednesday that Mohammed bin Nayef was being “prevented” from leaving his palace in the coastal city of Jeddah, after “his trusted guards had been replaced by guards loyal to Mohammed bin Salman”.

    It said restrictions had also been imposed on Mohammed bin Nayef’s daughters, before adding it was unclear how long they would remain in place.

    A senior US official told the Times that it was an “indication that M.B.S. [Mohammed bin Salman] does not want any opposition.”

    “He doesn’t want any rear-guard action within the family. He wants a straight elevation without any dissent – not that M.B.N. [Mohammed bin Nayef] was plotting anything anyway.”

    READ MORE: Israel calls for Saudi Arabia ties and state visits

    King Salman issued a series of royal decrees last Wednesday, the foremost being the appointment of his son, Mohammed bin Salman, as the Kingdom’s new crown prince and deputy prime minister.

    Nayef, 57, who was once dubbed “America’s favorite Saudi,”  was relieved of all his roles – including interior minister.

    Mohammed bin Salman, 31, has overseen the Saudi-led war in Yemen, which has killed more than 10,000 people, wounded 45,000 others, and displaced more than 11 percent of the country’s 26 million people.

    The war, launched more than two years ago, has failed to dislodge Houthi rebels from the capital, Sanaa, and has had devastating effects on the impoverished country.

    The United Nations has put the blame on all the warring sides and their international backers for the spread of cholera, which it calls a man-made humanitarian catastrophe.

    View the original article:

    Source: Al Jazeera and news agencies

    In the same category are

    Lawsuit alleges Saudi, Iran support for 9/11 hijackers Iran was ordered to pay billions to victims of the 9/11 attacks in 2016, though the Islamic Republic did not contest the case Saudi Arabia is addin...
    Are Saudi Arabia and UAE buying influence in the White House? Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman is reported to have boasted that he has US President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner in his pocket.  An...
    Great Pacific Garbage Patch much larger than believed Boyan Slat, founder of the The Ocean Cleanup project, aims to half the size of massive plastic waste in five years The Great Pacific Garbage Patch ...
    Trump to impose tariffs on $60bn of Chinese imports Trump holds a signed memorandum on intellectual property tariffs on high-tech goods from China US President Donald Trump has signed an order that p...
    Aung San Suu Kyi: The Lady of Myanmar Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991 in part for "striving" to attain "ethnic conciliation by peaceful...
    Arrest warrant issued for South Korea’s former president Lee Former president Lee Myung-bak arrives for questioning on bribery allegations last week An arrest warrant has been issued for South Korea's former ...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *