Trump blocks Qualcomm’s acquisition

Latest news

    President Donald Trump has blocked the $117bn takeover of chip maker of Qualcomm by Singapore-based Broadcom.

    Qualcomm makes key components found in many mobile phones and devices, and the US-based chip company has faced successive legal challenges alleging it has engaged in unfair business practices.

    Qualcomm had rejected Broadcom’s bid, and in announcing his decision, Trump said “there is credible evidence” to believe Broadcom and its partners “might take action that threatens to impair the national security of the United States” if the takeover goes through.

    The computer chip makers must “immediately and permanently abandon the proposed takeover”, Trump said in a presidential order on Monday.

    “The proposed takeover of Qualcomm by the Purchaser is prohibited, and any substantially equivalent merger, acquisition, or takeover, whether effected directly or indirectly, is also prohibited,” Trump said.

    Broadcom said in a statement it is reviewing the order but emphasised it “strongly disagrees that its proposed acquisition of Qualcomm raises any national security concerns”.

    National security

    Trump’s decision was foreshadowed by a March 5 letter from Treasury Department regulators to the companies that raised what it called “national security risks” of the takeover, particularly the looming transition to 5G cellular networks.

    “Qualcomm has become well-known to, and trusted by, the US government,” said Deputy Assistant Secretary for Investment Security Aimen Mir.

    “Limitation or cessation of supply of Qualcomm goods or services to the US government could have a detrimental impact on US national security.”

    In an ultimately futile attempt to assuage concerns, Broadcom said last week it was committed to making the US “the global leader in 5G”. The company further pledged to create a $1.5bn fund to bolster training and education for US engineers.

    While initially founded in the US, Broadcom reincorporated in Singapore in 2016 after it was sold to Avago. It maintains its administrative headquarters in California.

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/03/trump-blocks-qualcomm-acquisition-180313111717827.html

    SOURCE: Anadolu news agency

    In the same category are

    Camp David created Oslo, which killed the Palestinian struggle Egyptian President Anwar al-Sadat shakes hands with Israeli PM Menachem Begin at Camp David, Maryland, in September 1978 During the secret Oslo neg...
    Ethiopia and Eritrea’s second rapprochement Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika with Ethiopian PM Meles Zenawi and Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki after the signing of a peace agreement o...
    German spymaster ousted after far-right attacks row, but promoted Maassen, who had questioned the authenticity of video footage showing far-right hooligans hounding migrants, will become a senior official at the int...
    South Africa’s top court legalises private use of cannabis Members of the Rastafarian movement and traditional healers greeted the ruling with loud applause South Africa's highest court has legalised the pr...
    Kavanaugh, Ford to testify at US Senate hearing on Monday US Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, a woman who has accused him of sexually assaulting her in the 1980s, will testify ...
    China hits back at latest US tariffs with measures worth $60bn Industrial goods and food products are among the US items subject to the new tariffs China slapped $60bn worth of tariffs on American goods on Tues...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.