Trump renews sanctions on N Korea citing ‘extraordinary threat’

Latest news

    US President Donald Trump extended sanctions against North Korea for one year, saying the country still posed an “extraordinary threat” despite insisting just days earlier that Pyongyang was no longer a nuclear danger to the US.

    The sanctions, which were renewed on Friday, were originally introduced under an executive order originally put in place in 2008.

    After his talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore on June 12, Trump had said that sanctions would not be lifted on Pyongyang until further progress was made on its denuclearisation. 

    However, he also tweeted that, “Everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea.”

    Friday’s order said that the “existence and risk of proliferation of weapons-usable fissile material on the Korean Peninsula and the actions and policies of the government of North Korea continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States.”

    Military exercises

    Meanwhile, the Pentagon said it had indefinitely suspended some joint military exercises with key ally South Korea.

    Trump seemingly surprised Seoul as well as the US military when he announced the cancellation of joint war games on June 12 following the landmark Singapore summit.

    Repeating North Korean arguments, Trump said the games were “provocative” to Pyongyang and added that they were “very expensive”.

    He also speculated about the eventual withdrawal of 28,500 US troops from South Korea. 

    The suspension of the exercises was regarded as a major win for Pyongyang as well as for regional superpower and North Korea ally, China.

    Pentagon spokeswoman Dana W White said Secretary of Defence James Mattis had suspended the
    exercises in coordination with South Korea “to support implementing the outcomes of the Singapore summit.”

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/trump-renews-sanctions-korea-citing-extraordinary-threat-180623060256330.html

    Last year 7,500 US soldiers and 3,000 South Korean troops took part in the Freedom Guardian exercises, which the Pentagon has always maintained are purely defensive.

    In the same category are

    Germany drops economic sanctions against Turkey German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have been at odds over various issues Germany has lifted economic sanct...
    Boko Haram kills 18, abducts 10 in Chad At least 3,000 villagers have been forced to leave their homes in the Lake Chad region after a Boko Haram attack on a village near Chad's border with...
    Zahida: On the Road with Pakistan’s First Female Taxi Driver "It wouldn't work if I left the house thinking that I'm a woman. To compete with men, I had to be like a man."  - Zahida, Pakistan's first female taxi...
    Syrian army continues push into Quneitra amid ongoing evacuations A first convoy of 55 buses, carrying some 2,800 people, arrived in northern Syria's Idlib province on Saturday Troops loyal to Syrian President Bas...
    Transgender citizens claim law protecting rights not implemented At least 500,000 people identify as transgender in Pakistan Karachi, Pakistan - When Pakistan goes to the polls on July 25, there will be 25 transg...
    Nepal’s stolen gods The arid and desolate mountain ranges of Upper Mustang in Nepal are extremely remote.  {articleGUID} The only way into this high-altitude Himalayan ...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.