Turkey protest: Istanbul rally concludes anti-Erdogan march

Latest news

    Media playback is unsupported on your device

    Media captionPresident Erdogan has accused the marchers of supporting terrorism

    Tens of thousands of people have gathered in Istanbul at the end of a 450km (280-mile) protest march against the government of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

    More and more people have joined the “justice” march since it began in the capital Ankara on 15 June.

    They are demonstrating against the mass dismissals and imprisonments that followed last year’s failed coup.

    President Erdogan has accused the marchers of supporting terrorism.

    He said the Republican People’s Party (CHP) – which has organised the march – had gone beyond political opposition and was “acting with terrorist organisations and the forces inciting them against our country”.

    The rally was the biggest show of defiance against President Erdogan since the Gezi Park protests four years ago.

    Image copyright Getty Images
    Image caption Organiser Kemal Kilicdaroglu told the rally he was opposed to a “one man regime” but did not support last year’s coup

    CHP leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu said the rally marked “a new birth”.

    He told the crowds: “Nobody should think this march is the last one. It’s the first step!”

    He launched the march after one of his MPs, Enis Berberoglu, was arrested for allegedly leaking documents purporting to show that the government was arming jihadists in Syria.

    Mr Berberoglu denies the charge. Sunday’s rally drew a sea of people to an area close to the jail in which he is being held.

    More than 50,000 people have been arrested and 140,000 dismissed or suspended during a state of emergency in place since last year’s attempted military takeover.

    The detentions of human rights activists and leading journalists have drawn international condemnation.

    Mr Kilicdaroglu, who has walked around 20km a day for the past three weeks, condemns the coup attempt but says the purges and emergency rule by Mr Erdogan constitute a “second coup”.

    He told crowds at the rally: “We marched for justice, we marched for the rights of the oppressed. We marched for the MPs in jail. We marched for the arrested journalists.

    “We marched for the university academics dismissed from their jobs. We marched because the judiciary is under a political monopoly.”

    The failed coup last July saw rogue soldiers bombing government buildings and driving tanks into civilians, killing more than 260.

    View the original article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40547972

    The BBC’s Mark Lowen in Istanbul says there is a widespread feeling that the government has seized the chance to crush all opponents, not just alleged coup supporters.

    Image copyright Getty Images
    Image caption The march reached Istanbul after 24 days

    In the same category are

    World Cup 2018: Belgium beat debutants Panama 3-0 in Sochi Highlights: Belgium 3-0 PanamaRomelu Lukaku scored twice as Belgium proved too good for World Cup debutants Panama in the opening match in England's ...
    South Africa v England: Coach Eddie Jones has no concerns about position Eddie Jones: We are working hard to get it rightEngland head coach Eddie Jones says he has no concerns about his position despite a fifth Test defeat...
    In pictures: Pomp and ceremony for Order of the Garter Image copyright Reuters Crowds have gathered in Windsor to watch the Queen and Knights of the Garter attend the annual Order of the Garter ceremony....
    Demolition or restoration: What should happen to Glasgow School of Art? Image copyright PA Shock, heartbreak and devastation were the feelings expressed by most over the weekend as news spread of the second massive fire ...
    London sixth-former plays Pogba’s double Image caption Efeme Temienor (right) took a selfie with Paul Pogba, as he appeared as the footballer in an advert A sixth-former from south London...
    Five things to know about US child migrant separations At least 2,000 children in the US have been separated from their families since April as they crossed the border.President Trump is facing heavy criti...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.