Breaking

Turkish investigators enter Saudi consul’s Istanbul residence

Latest news

    A team of Turkish investigators has entered the residence of the Saudi consul general in Istanbul as part of an investigation into the disapperance and suspected killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi

    Speaking to a news conference earlier on Wednesday, Turkey’s foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, said the search was held off after Saudi authorities told Turkish officials Mohammad al-Otaibi’s family were still in the residence.

    “We expect the search in the residence and vehicles to be carried out today,” Cavusoglu said, following a meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

    Cavusoglu, who was speaking from the airport in Ankara, said the talks with Pompeo were “beneficial and fruitful”.

    On Tuesday, Turkish police said the search was called off because Saudi officials were not able to join, referring to the joint probe team assigned to investigate the whereabouts of Khashoggi, who has been missing since entering the Saudi consulate on October 2.

    WATCH: Khashoggi case brings new scrutiny on Saudi Arabia over Yemen war

    Al-Otaibi left Istanbul to Saudi Arabia on the same day, after Turkish authorities said they would not issue a travel ban on Saudi officials.

    The Saudi and Turkish investigation teams searched the Saudi consulate late Monday night.

    Four forensic vehicles arrived outside the consulate and took away soil samples as well as a metal door from the garden. A police dog was part of the search team.

    Pompeo in Ankara

    Cavusoglu also said Pompeo had passed on US President Donald Trump‘s messages regarding Khashoggi’s disappearance to Erdogan during the meeting.

    Pompeo arrived in Ankara on Wednesday from a visit to Riyadh where he met with Saudi King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman (MBS) over Khashoggi’s case. 

    The US secretary of state and MBS at their meeting “agreed on the importance of a thorough, transparent, and timely investigation that provides answers” over Khashoggi’s disappearance, according to a US statement.

    But Pompeo refused to be drawn on whether Khashoggi was alive or dead and who could be responsible. “I don’t want to talk about any of the facts. They didn’t want to either.”

    ‘Joint consensus’

    Suleyman Soylu, the Turkish interior minister, told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday said there must be a “joint consensus” in order for the search at the residence of the Saudi consul general to go ahead.

    “There is an agreement, but for the search to start, there must be a joint consensus. The joint consensus is on the wait,” he said.

    WATCH: The dark side of Saudi Arabia’s crown prince

    Soylu also emphasised that the case was not only a global matter but also a test for the Turkish judiciary.

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/turkish-investigators-enter-saudi-consul-istanbul-residence-181017153218984.html

    “We have managed and are continuing to manage this issue transparently and open to the world within the measures given by law,” he said.

    WATCH: Inside Story – Who killed Khashoggi?

    In the same category are

    Australia: One dead, two hurt in Melbourne stabbing attack One person was confirmed dead, and two others were injured after a stabbing incident during rush hour in the Australian city of Melbourne, police sai...
    Imelda Marcos, Philippines ex-first lady, faces jail over graft A Philippine court found former first lady Imelda Marcos guilty of graft and ordered her arrest on Friday in a rare conviction among many corruption ...
    US court halts construction of Keystone XL oil pipeline A federal judge has blocked construction of the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline, arguing that United States' President Donald Trump's administr...
    Australia: One dead in Melbourne multiple stabbing attack One person was confirmed dead after a stabbing incident during rush hour in the Australian city of Melbourne, police said on Friday, as the city was ...
    How the Swedish left moved right September's general elections left Sweden with a hung parliament. Two months later, negotiations between parties have not resulted in a viable governm...
    Hong Kong bars FT journalist from entering A Financial Times Asia editor was denied entry into Hong Kong a month after he was forced to leave the semi-autonomous Chinese city when the governmen...

    Turkish investigators enter Saudi consul’s Istanbul residence

    Latest news

    A team of Turkish investigators has entered the residence of the Saudi consul general in Istanbul as part of an investigation into the disapperance and suspected killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi

    Speaking to a news conference earlier on Wednesday, Turkey’s foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, said the search was held off after Saudi authorities told Turkish officials Mohammad al-Otaibi’s family were still in the residence.

    “We expect the search in the residence and vehicles to be carried out today,” Cavusoglu said, following a meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

    Cavusoglu, who was speaking from the airport in Ankara, said the talks with Pompeo were “beneficial and fruitful”.

    On Tuesday, Turkish police said the search was called off because Saudi officials were not able to join, referring to the joint probe team assigned to investigate the whereabouts of Khashoggi, who has been missing since entering the Saudi consulate on October 2.

    WATCH: Khashoggi case brings new scrutiny on Saudi Arabia over Yemen war

    Al-Otaibi left Istanbul to Saudi Arabia on the same day, after Turkish authorities said they would not issue a travel ban on Saudi officials.

    The Saudi and Turkish investigation teams searched the Saudi consulate late Monday night.

    Four forensic vehicles arrived outside the consulate and took away soil samples as well as a metal door from the garden. A police dog was part of the search team.

    Pompeo in Ankara

    Cavusoglu also said Pompeo had passed on US President Donald Trump‘s messages regarding Khashoggi’s disappearance to Erdogan during the meeting.

    Pompeo arrived in Ankara on Wednesday from a visit to Riyadh where he met with Saudi King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman (MBS) over Khashoggi’s case. 

    The US secretary of state and MBS at their meeting “agreed on the importance of a thorough, transparent, and timely investigation that provides answers” over Khashoggi’s disappearance, according to a US statement.

    But Pompeo refused to be drawn on whether Khashoggi was alive or dead and who could be responsible. “I don’t want to talk about any of the facts. They didn’t want to either.”

    ‘Joint consensus’

    Suleyman Soylu, the Turkish interior minister, told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday said there must be a “joint consensus” in order for the search at the residence of the Saudi consul general to go ahead.

    “There is an agreement, but for the search to start, there must be a joint consensus. The joint consensus is on the wait,” he said.

    WATCH: The dark side of Saudi Arabia’s crown prince

    Soylu also emphasised that the case was not only a global matter but also a test for the Turkish judiciary.

    View the original article: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/turkish-investigators-enter-saudi-consul-istanbul-residence-181017153218984.html

    “We have managed and are continuing to manage this issue transparently and open to the world within the measures given by law,” he said.

    WATCH: Inside Story – Who killed Khashoggi?

    In the same category are

    Australia: One dead, two hurt in Melbourne stabbing attack One person was confirmed dead, and two others were injured after a stabbing incident during rush hour in the Australian city of Melbourne, police sai...
    Imelda Marcos, Philippines ex-first lady, faces jail over graft A Philippine court found former first lady Imelda Marcos guilty of graft and ordered her arrest on Friday in a rare conviction among many corruption ...
    US court halts construction of Keystone XL oil pipeline A federal judge has blocked construction of the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline, arguing that United States' President Donald Trump's administr...
    Australia: One dead in Melbourne multiple stabbing attack One person was confirmed dead after a stabbing incident during rush hour in the Australian city of Melbourne, police said on Friday, as the city was ...
    How the Swedish left moved right September's general elections left Sweden with a hung parliament. Two months later, negotiations between parties have not resulted in a viable governm...
    Hong Kong bars FT journalist from entering A Financial Times Asia editor was denied entry into Hong Kong a month after he was forced to leave the semi-autonomous Chinese city when the governmen...

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.