US holds off expanding airline laptop ban as new rules laid out

Latest news

    Kuwaiti social media activist Thamer al-Dakheel Bourashed puts his laptop inside his suitcase at Kuwait International Airport in Kuwait City, 23 MarchImage copyright AFP
    Image caption Kuwait airport is one of those currently affected by the laptop ban

    The US has unveiled tough new measures to enhance security on flights entering the country, but has held off extending a ban on laptops in the cabin.

    In March the US banned cabin laptops to and from eight mostly Muslim nations, fearing bombs may be concealed in them.

    The new measures require enhanced passenger- and electronic-device screening across 105 countries.

    Airlines have 120 days to comply or could face a ban on carrying all passenger electronics.

    They could even be denied the right to fly into the US.

    Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly spelled out the new measures on Wednesday, saying: “Make no mistake: our enemies are constantly working to find new methods for disguising explosives, recruiting insiders, and hijacking aircraft.

    “We cannot play international whack-a-mole with each new threat. Instead, we must put in place new measures across the board to keep the travelling public safe and make it harder for terrorists to succeed.”

    The new measures, which Mr Kelly said would not be the last, include:

    • Enhanced overall passenger screening
    • Heightened screening of personal electronic devices
    • Increased security protocols around aircraft and in passenger areas
    • Expanded canine screening

    The measures are vague on specifics in terms of operational application, but will cover 280 airports and 180 airlines, affecting an average of 2,100 flights a day, carrying 325,000 passengers.

    Media playback is unsupported on your device

    Media captionJohn Kelly said last month he was mulling whether to extend the laptop ban

    Airlines will be breathing a sigh of relief on the laptop issue, as many feared it might deter passengers, particularly high-fare-paying business customers, from travelling.

    Mr Kelly had raised fears of a wider ban late last month, telling Fox News he was still considering it.

    Homeland security officials said that even the airports included in the original laptop ban could have it lifted if they complied with the new regulations.

    Devices “larger than a smartphone” are currently not allowed in the cabins of flights from Turkey, Morocco, Jordan, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

    The UK issued similar rules for flights from six countries.

    View the original article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40437926

    Air travel safety experts have warned there is a greater risk of lithium battery fires going unchecked if large electronic items are left in the hold.

    Media playback is unsupported on your device

    Media captionDavid Crowder of BRE Global Limited demonstrates the dangers of faulty batteries

    In the same category are

    Belgian GP: F1 extends contract of Spa-Francorchamps track Britain's Lewis Hamilton won the 2017 Belgian Grand PrixFormula 1 has extended its contract with the Belgian Grand Prix until 2021.The move secures t...
    World Cup 2018: Cristiano Ronaldo heads Portugal in front against Morocco Cristiano Ronaldo heads Portugal ahead against Morocco in their second Group B match, making him the all-time leading European goalscorer in internati...
    US child detention pictures disturbing – Theresa May Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionTheresa May: US child detention 'disturbing' and 'wrong'Theresa May has condemned the forc...
    ‘Grenfell 2 in the post’ if cladding not banned Image copyright Houses of Parliament Image caption Natasha Elcock, who escaped Grenfell Tower, called for the cladding to be banned straight away ...
    Bristol Zoo male gorilla revealed to be a female Image copyright PA Image caption Kukena was born at Bristol Zoo in September 2011 Zookeepers had a shock when they realised a six-year-old male go...
    Prince Louis to be baptised on July 9 Image copyright PA Prince Louis, the third child of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, is to be baptised on 9 July, Kensington Palace has announced....

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.